Very Pregnant Mama

Courtneykaiser1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hey everyone so I am new to here so I have a few questions to see if y’all can help. So I took in a very pregnant stray who was always coming to my house and was so hungry every time. So she has gotten very large. When I got her babies were very active and I read that you see movement within the last 2 weeks. It’s been at least that long. So she now to the point where she only lays down for a min before moving spots she has been following me everywhere I go she is licking her belly a lot not her genitalia that I have noticed. She eats tiny bits here and there so I am wondering does this sound like she will give birth soon?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds very close to the end.

Are you keeping her 100% inside now? Giving her as much as she wants to eat, including wet food?

Have you made a nest for her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Courtneykaiser1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
9FDC29B1-972C-47BD-B9F3-0A52A56BE02E.jpeg
E99B44FD-2164-47C5-A5B1-D8DFFF08FE08.jpeg
hey everyone so I am new to here so I have a few questions to see if y’all can help. So I took in a very pregnant stray who was always coming to my house and was so hungry every time. So she has gotten very large. When I got her babies were very active and I read that you see movement within the last 2 weeks. It’s been at least that long. So she now to the point where she only lays down for a min before moving spots she has been following me everywhere I go she is licking her belly a lot not her genitalia that I have noticed. She eats tiny bits here and there so I am wondering does this sound like she will give birth soon?
She sounds very close to the end.

Are you keeping her 100% inside now? Giving her as much as she wants to eat, including wet food?

Have you made a nest for her?
yes to all questions her bowl and dishes always have food just curious when she willbhave them and what to look for my walk in closet is her space

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It can be very confusing! I’ve fostered one pregnant mother cat. Starting a week before birth, she would always be hot and looking for a cool floor to lay on. She didn’t eat much. Then, out of the blue, she had them! Sometimes there’s no way to tell when she will give birth. It’s certainly a waiting game. But it sounds like you’ll have kittens within the next week!

Make sure you don’t let her outside while she has them. She can still get pregnant while nursing them. Get her and her kittens spayed and neutered when the kittens are 2 lbs (8 weeks). If you can’t cover the cost or find them homes, consider signing them off to a cat rescue and you can even ask if you can foster them.

Courtneykaiser1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely plan to do that and ya for the past while now she has been laying in the kitchen on the floor cause it is a tile floor that’s been happening for about a week now

Courtneykaiser1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys so I have another question. So mama cat it HUGE now and due any day I would imagine so I do soft and hard food cause someone said it’s good for her so all she wants is the wet food she is always meowing for it all ways want it all day lol she will eat her dry food but wants wet. She always has dry food out so my question is how much and how often should I give her the wet food she has an appetite for days right now

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
While pregnant and nursing she needs wet food 4 times a day. She should have as much as she wants right now. She needs it!

Courtneykaiser1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
While pregnant and nursing she needs wet food 4 times a day. She should have as much as she wants right now. She needs it!
Ok I wanted to make sure so I didn’t over feed it to her so she would literally eat it all day so should I just do it the 4 times a day now and until she’s done nursing

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes - breakfast, lunch, dinner, and again before bed. She still needs the dry food and water 24/7 too.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is absolutely right, Courtneykaiser1. My pregnant queens would ravage 5 cans of wet food per day when they were pregnant and AGAIN WHILE NURSING. Her body is eating up many, many more than usual number of calories when the kittens are in gestation, and as I mentioned, she will need to eat her fill while nursing the kittens as well. Just make sure she has the food that she wants, when she wants, like Sarthur2 said, along with dry food for grazing, 24/7.

Courtneykaiser1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok yes she has dry food 24/7 and I’ll do the 4 times a day wet food so the wet food I have is kitten formula I was told that’s best for her at this time but they are the 3oz cans does she need the bigger cans 4 times a day? Or are the 3oz enough? Sorry this is my first pregnant mama cat I am so in love with her since we found her I just want her to have he best

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tell you what, play it by ear. She will let you know how much wet food she needs to satisfy her hunger. Just get in tune with her. I fed my queens Friskies, canned food. It is affordable and nutritious enough for her to grow healthy kittens. I am not raising kittens anymore, my adult cat I feed her Fancy feast which comes in the smaller cans. If your queen has a ravenous appetite like my 2 did, you will get more bang for your buck with Friskies wet. The cans are larger and less expensive than fancy feast and most other wet cat Brands, other than generic. I would stay away from the generic!!! Friskies at Walmart in the south you can buy for 44cents per can.

Courtneykaiser1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
D4934994-5701-4C80-AED7-A4311A4CD391.jpeg
So another question is there such thing as a cat being to young and not knowing what to do in labor and birthing? I believe the stray we are taking care of is still pretty young and I am nervous that she won’t know what to do..

cryptic

Mama to Jinx and Java
Young Cat
Purraise
You'd be surprised - it's a natural instinct. I'm sure she'll be fine.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
What Cryptic said- instinct will kick in. Do you plan to spay her after this litter?

She's pretty, it's not too common we see an orange girl.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Instincts do kick in, but not always immediately. So a wise caretaker is prepared to step in and help out, at least in the beginning. This MAY always happen, but happens more often with the very young moms.

See it as a possibility to a wonderful adventure!