Very Pregnant Cat!

laceymorgan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted my cat named Paisley a week and a half ago from a family who had too many cats and couldn't care for her anymore. She is only a year old, she was very large and pregnant when I brought her home, they had already been feeling and seeing the kittens move around in her belly. The previous owner said that she should have them in around 3-4 days based on his calculations. She still hasn't had them, I have set up multiple nesting boxes for her to choose from, she mostly stays in our large walk in closet so I am assuming she will have them in there. She hasn't moved around much at all today, she loves and craves attention right now, definitely doesn't want her belly rubbed at all though. She doesn't want me to leave her side, she is in and out of her bed that is in the closet then lies on the laminate floor. She grooms constantly, she lost what I assumed was some of her mucous plug yesterday on my bed, was brownish in color and might have been a discharge. I've been thinking for the last couple of nights that she would go into labor, fast breathing, cringing from some contractions, seeing babies move like crazy, and being so uncomfortable. She meows at me every time I come around like she wants my help but I'm not sure how to help her except to be there for her and comfort her. She is eating a little less today, still drinking water. Any advice on around when you think she'll be in active labor?

Attachments

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It certainly sounds like she's getting close. Thank you for taking her!

Do you have kitten supplies already? Powdered kmr, a needleless syringe, and a small scale are all important.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laceymorgan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It certainly sounds like she's getting close. Thank you for taking her!

Do you have kitten supplies already? Powdered kmr, a needleless syringe, and a small scale are all important.
Yes I have all of those supplies also including extra clean towels and gloves

laceymorgan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

laceymorgan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Paisley is actually trying out a couple different places in the closet, ones a box and ones a bed, scratching at the blankets. I will check on her, she'll be laying on her side on the floor. She doesn't really want to leave the closet/bathroom, which are connected, I try to get her to lay in bed with me, she starts kneading and suckling on my blankets which I've never seen before in a cat besides a nursing kitten. She's super affectionate, no discharge, breathing faster than normal but not rapid enough that she is panting with her mouth open, doesn't want her belly touched, eating half as much as she was two days ago. She is purring constantly. Some abdominal grooming. I don't know if I need to sit in the closet with her all day and night to see if something happens while I'm there? I'm not sure if she's purposely postponing birth out of nervousness since she is a first time mom? I feel like she's been in stage one for days, fast breathing, not moving around much, sleeping a lot, uncomfortable with some contractions.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you still seeing or feeling kitten movement in her sides, or can you tell if the kittens have dropped down lower?

laceymorgan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes i still feel the kittens move, not a whole lot today though. They have definitely dropped lower! I noticed a big change in her shape probably 3 days ago or so. And she is super gassy and her belly is real hard

laceymorgan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is on my bed right now lying flat on her belly which i havent seen her do yet, but it didnt last long. Shes back on her side now

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like her body is getting closer and closer to real stage one labor. Everything sounds normal to me. The hard belly is a very late stage sign.

She is feeling insecure and wants you all the time. Is she sleeping with you? That way she can let you know if she needs you during the night.

laceymorgan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She doesnt sleeo with me, she will stay kn bed for a little bit but not long then she goes back into my closet or on the floor