Very Pregnant Cat, Need Advice!

larorig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My cat Nala is and has been pregnant. For a WHILE, but i’m not sure how long as I just brought her home 3 weeks ago because she was so fat. She lives at a shop, my family owns a business, and she goes out every day. She WILL be getting fixed now that my mom is letting me keep her inside, I didn’t think she had a way to get pregnant as I thought there were no male cats around. Anyway, she’s been at my house for 3 weeks, and has been huge since I can remember. I first noticed how fat she was like a month and a half ago as I frequently visited her at the shop. I believe she’s had some pre-labor “contractions”, but no babies. They have been moving vigorously for almost 3 weeks! They’ve slowed down a lot in the last week but shouldn’t she have had them?? I don’t want to worry but we are very close and she’s just the sweetest thing and I love her so much. Help please!

PS She is REALLY REALLY fat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

larorig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is a small brownish goo coming out of her vagina?? Is this a sign? Please help!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its prob the mucus plug. Yes its nearing may even be hours away. But we dont know exactly...
There is a small brownish goo coming out of her vagina?? Is this a sign? Please help!

larorig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
she just seems to be in labor honestly but I can’t tell. she’s acting weird but this morning she had a hard tummy, I left for 2 hours, just got back and her tummy feels very big and like hard or bloated. every time she stretches she grunts and she’s was making noises all last night. i’m just so antsy because I worry about her

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, this isnt easy. Hopefully its prelabor, and that stage may be quite long, even over 24 hours. Even if its often shorter. But the active pushing phase is much shorter than with humans.
So if you decide she is in real labor without results more than one hour maximum, its time to rush to the vet... Or at very least, phone - some vets do answer questions, and know when its hurry in and when it can wait some more.

she just seems to be in labor honestly but I can’t tell. she’s acting weird but this morning she had a hard tummy, I left for 2 hours, just got back and her tummy feels very big and like hard or bloated. every time she stretches she grunts and she’s was making noises all last night. i’m just so antsy because I worry about her
The difficulty is to know what is prelabor, and what is active pushing. If you never saw this, its easy to become uncertain...

ps. There are also the Hickney-Braxton contractions. Its a form of early prelabor several days before the actual delivery. A way of nature to prepare the muscles.

larorig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any kittens yet?
No ): I just got home from work and there’s more mucus lining her vagina and it seems a little open. Also purring a ton and trying to roll around and get me to pet her belly. She’s kind of swuatting I think as well. Can’t tell if she’s having contractions, I have seen the early labor contractions in previous weeks.

larorig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, this isnt easy. Hopefully its prelabor, and that stage may be quite long, even over 24 hours. Even if its often shorter. But the active pushing phase is much shorter than with humans.
So if you decide she is in real labor without results more than one hour maximum, its time to rush to the vet... Or at very least, phone - some vets do answer questions, and know when its hurry in and when it can wait some more.

The difficulty is to know what is prelabor, and what is active pushing. If you never saw this, its easy to become uncertain...

ps. There are also the Hickney-Braxton contractions. Its a form of early prelabor several days before the actual delivery. A way of nature to prepare the muscles.
I’ve seen a cat give birth once, specifically her. I just can’t put my finger on remembering how it went. It seemed so quick last time. She’s very clingy right now though!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is this going? If she hasnt delivered as yet, do you have access to a vet?

This seems as problematic, time to contact a vet... Cesarean may be necessary. Be sure they spay her at the same time.

No ): I just got home from work and there’s more mucus lining her vagina and it seems a little open. Also purring a ton and trying to roll around and get me to pet her belly. She’s kind of swuatting I think as well. Can’t tell if she’s having contractions, I have seen the early labor contractions in previous weeks.

larorig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is this going? If she hasnt delivered as yet, do you have access to a vet?

This seems as problematic, time to contact a vet... Cesarean may be necessary. Be sure they spay her at the same time.
I do have access to a vet however she never had contractions, I believe she is having some pre-labor, MAYBE first stage of labor. But I also don’t know how far along she is and the babies are rolling still so I think they’re fine. Was on the phone with my vet this morning and he said if she’s not having contractions I shouldn’t go in and stress her out. I don’t work today so i’ll be keeping a very close eye on her. Will update tonight, thanks and let me know if you have anymore advice please!!

larorig

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have access to a vet however she never had contractions, I believe she is having some pre-labor, MAYBE first stage of labor. But I also don’t know how far along she is and the babies are rolling still so I think they’re fine. Was on the phone with my vet this morning and he said if she’s not having contractions I shouldn’t go in and stress her out. I don’t work today so i’ll be keeping a very close eye on her. Will update tonight, thanks and let me know if you have anymore advice please!!
Hello all!! Nala successfully had 7 kitties this morning. No wonder she took so long to cook them, there was a lot! One did not survive as I was not around to pull it’s sac off of its face, and i’m guessing that is why it died. But we have six healthy babies all suckling normally and warmed up. She’s being a great mommy. Thanks for all the advice and help and now I really know what cat labor looks like! (I saw the first two be born)