Very Melancholy Young Cat

FordChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So our boy, Apollo , is not even 2 years old yet. He is big..14 pounds...and not all muscle, i must admit.

Anyway, he was a very agressive kitten...so much so that my other cats ignore him or hiss at him now.

Fortunately for him, we have a new kitten whom he adores. He grooms her and plays with her...but he moves like an OLD cat.

I know cats relax ALOT...but imo, he relaxes too much.

His next vet checkup is in June. His temperature is normal...appetite normal....bathroom habits normal

Could this just be his personality?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
It is his personality, but it is the 14 pounds as well. Even a couple extra pounds will slow a cat down and it just gets worse as they get older. If there is a way to cut down his food intake even a little it will help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FordChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is his personality, but it is the 14 pounds as well. Even a couple extra pounds will slow a cat down and it just gets worse as they get older. If there is a way to cut down his food intake even a little it will help.
Yes...he steals our other cats' cookies if we don't watch...and they get cookies twice a day

I guess i will cut down.on HIS treats.

Thanks

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand, my Willow has weight issues even though she stays on a strict diet. One treat I would recommend is dried chicken or salmon treats. These are low fat, 100% protein and cats love them.

FordChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand, my Willow has weight issues even though she stays on a strict diet. One treat I would recommend is dried chicken or salmon treats. These are low fat, 100% protein and cats love them.
Thanks..will pick some up this week

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe try one of those toys that has food in it. There's a ball they have to bat around to get their food, or puzzles they have to work to get the food out of. That will help him slow down when he's eating too if that's an issue and he will probably end up eating less.

FordChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe try one of those toys that has food in it. There's a ball they have to bat around to get their food, or puzzles they have to work to get the food out of. That will help him slow down when he's eating too if that's an issue and he will probably end up eating less.
Yeah...we got that toy....noone was really interested in it...so we just give the cats their treats..ugh

I was just in the bathroom where my Apollo likes to sleep. I pet him..kissed him...no movement...no eyes opening except for a twitching tail.

Then his buddy..the kitten..came in, curled up next to him, but then decided to skooch him...lol

He got up, licked her for a second and slowly walked away

He has been on ringworm medication..just finished.. sporanox...maybe this is just a side effect? Maybe he hasn't always been like this and i am remembering wrong?

I may just make a vet appointment

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd definitely take him to the vet for a check up. Any noticeable behaviour change should be looked into for a physical/medical cause.

If he's a naturally melancholic cat, I recommend valerian, which can be found in numerous 'cat-calming' treats and preparations, or as the dried root and in teabags. It helps my depressive cat, Dudley.

Also, catnip and silvervine matatabi are natural cat pick-me-ups. And a trial of Feliway's synthetic cat pheromones might be an idea too.

Putting in the extra mile on the fussing and playing front can also be very antidepressant. Playing with a wand toy like 'da bird' or a wire 'cat dancer' are great exercise and enormous fun for cats with minimal effort for humans. Engaging in play for ten minutes here and there every day to get him moving will release dopamine, which is antidepressant.

Some depressive cats benefit from veterinary prescribed prozac or valium, but I consider those to be a last resort after all other avenues have been explored. However, you may want to ask your vet about all things mentioned above.

As for treat balls, my cats have a treat weeblewobble that took a while for them to get into. So, why not you try your treat ball again, and give them a bit more time to get fed up and start to bat it about. Hiding treats around your home for him to hunt down may also increase his activity levels and engage his mind, which would also prove anti-depressive.

It's great that he has his kitten buddy. Their washing, playing, and snuggling with each other will be helping as these things release feel-good serotonin.

Please update us with how he's getting on and what the vet says.

:grouphug:

CaliCatCharlie

Living FeLV Pawwwsitive!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got Charlie one of those treat balls for Christmas. He is still getting the hang of it. But he now thinks treats should magically fall out of all his rolly balls! :flail:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about Apollo, and am wondering why he likes to sleep in the bathroom? Does he have a comfy bed in there or does he cram himself into some tiny, pokey, corner and bed down on cold tiles or the likes? I just mention it because Dudley has rejected every large, comfy, warm bed I've tried, and prefers instead to sleep in a too small cardboard box with a pokey corrugated cardboard thing in it to make it even more uncomfy and restrictive. Or he likes the cat tree with a too small, hard platform, which his bulk hangs over. He generally likes lodging himself against pokey objects.

Do you have any cat trees or access to shelves, tops of wardrobes etc, by the way? Apollo might benefit from having his own perch to help him feel on top of things.

:hangin:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: CaliCatCharlie CaliCatCharlie I've got an 8 month old kitten, Parker, who is surely big and strong enough to bat the treat weeblewobble to make the treats fall out. But no, he sits, vulture-like, next to it and waits for Dudley to wobble them out for him to gobble up! Me thinks this defeats the purpose! :think:

FordChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd definitely take him to the vet for a check up. Any noticeable behaviour change should be looked into for a physical/medical cause.

If he's a naturally melancholic cat, I recommend valerian, which can be found in numerous 'cat-calming' treats and preparations, or as the dried root and in teabags. It helps my depressive cat, Dudley.

Also, catnip and silvervine matatabi are natural cat pick-me-ups. And a trial of Feliway's synthetic cat pheromones might be an idea too.

Putting in the extra mile on the fussing and playing front can also be very antidepressant. Playing with a wand toy like 'da bird' or a wire 'cat dancer' are great exercise and enormous fun for cats with minimal effort for humans. Engaging in play for ten minutes here and there every day to get him moving will release dopamine, which is antidepressant.

Some depressive cats benefit from veterinary prescribed prozac or valium, but I consider those to be a last resort after all other avenues have been explored. However, you may want to ask your vet about all things mentioned above.

As for treat balls, my cats have a treat weeblewobble that took a while for them to get into. So, why not you try your treat ball again, and give them a bit more time to get fed up and start to bat it about. Hiding treats around your home for him to hunt down may also increase his activity levels and engage his mind, which would also prove anti-depressive.

It's great that he has his kitten buddy. Their washing, playing, and snuggling with each other will be helping as these things release feel-good serotonin.

Please update us with how he's getting on and what the vet says.

:grouphug:
Oh thank you for the advice!

I didn't think cats could get depressed. Apollo seems a lot better this morning and actually very happy!

I will up his play time and see the vet.

Thanks again

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
R Raevyn that's a very good point. Cats have all the emotions that humans have and a whole lot more besides.

I suffer from depression and have since childhood, and Dudley definitely picks up on my blue moods and black dogs, and becomes sympathetically depressed to chum me through it. Now, many people would say I'm barking mad, but I know my cat and he certainly mopes about more when I do. However, he's naturally melancholic, which I truly believe some animals, including humans, are. And, his leaving his mum at 8 weeks old, then living alone with me through my intense grief for my beloved Brian (who I'm still grieving for), and prolonged depressive spell, then to have to move country in April with all the ups and downs and stress that has followed, I'm really not surprised in the slightest that he's a woeful soul. Giving him valerian cat treats daily, and spraying stinky feet valerian on blankets when he's particularly down, along with a Feliway plug-in, help keep his black dogs at bay. And, brushing sessions, fussing, and telling him how handsome he is work wonders also. But, the single best antidepressant I've found is Parker, my 8 month old kitten, who has been Dudley's (and my) wee life-saver ever since the very second he entered into our lives in July. They're best pals - no, they're the best of best pals. Dudley is 22 months old, by the way. Dudley never made a sound until he met Parker, he now chirrups when they play.

Anyway, I'm with you and Apollo all the way F FordChick . :hugs:

FordChick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
R Raevyn that's a very good point. Cats have all the emotions that humans have and a whole lot more besides.

I suffer from depression and have since childhood, and Dudley definitely picks up on my blue moods and black dogs, and becomes sympathetically depressed to chum me through it. Now, many people would say I'm barking mad, but I know my cat and he certainly mopes about more when I do. However, he's naturally melancholic, which I truly believe some animals, including humans, are. And, his leaving his mum at 8 weeks old, then living alone with me through my intense grief for my beloved Brian (who I'm still grieving for), and prolonged depressive spell, then to have to move country in April with all the ups and downs and stress that has followed, I'm really not surprised in the slightest that he's a woeful soul. Giving him valerian cat treats daily, and spraying stinky feet valerian on blankets when he's particularly down, along with a Feliway plug-in, help keep his black dogs at bay. And, brushing sessions, fussing, and telling him how handsome he is work wonders also. But, the single best antidepressant I've found is Parker, my 8 month old kitten, who has been Dudley's (and my) wee life-saver ever since the very second he entered into our lives in July. They're best pals - no, they're the best of best pals. Dudley is 22 months old, by the way. Dudley never made a sound until he met Parker, he now chirrups when they play.

Anyway, I'm with you and Apollo all the way F FordChick . :hugs:
Awww... I'm sorry to hear about your issues and your loss of Brian.

I, myself, suffer from ocd..not just being anal about certain things...which, btw irks me when people say they have a little bit of ocd..the real deal

Sometimes we..our brains, actually...are our worst enemies

On a side note....just put together a cat condo for my guys, today...and Apollo is enjoying it
20180105_182720.jpg

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww... I'm sorry to hear about your issues and your loss of Brian.

I, myself, suffer from ocd..not just being anal about certain things...which, btw irks me when people say they have a little bit of ocd..the real deal

Sometimes we..our brains, actually...are our worst enemies

On a side note....just put together a cat condo for my guys, today...and Apollo is enjoying itView attachment 212852
:hellocomputer: :yess: :hithere: :clap: :clap2: :cheerleader: :goldstar: