Very loud wailing

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tom is just over 12 years old and I have owned him since December last. I think he was a typical tom with his previous owner as once darkness falls he wants to go out. I will not let him.

He sleeps on my bed and about 4 am he gets up and uses his litter box and then starts to wail constantly. Very loud wailing. This only started about a month ago. I know he is hungry but as much as I love him I am not getting up to feed him at 4. This goes on until I get up at 6 and feed him. If I go back to bed once he is fed he starts wailing again. This is because he wants to go outside. Once I take him out he is fine and the wailing stops until 4 am next day. In the garden he is fine and he won't escape as it is very secure and he cannot jump.

My neighbour has a 17 year old male and he wails too but during the day and not as loud.

The wailing bothered me because the only time I have heard him do it in the past was just before he threw up.

I don't know if this is a typical tom cat habit or what. It is only bothering me because it affects my sleep. I do not believe its a medical problem but would love to find out.

Thanks

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
The fact that he's a tom probably does have a lot to do with it.  Having him neutered is really your best solution, and it's kinder to him.  However, I had an indoor neutered cat who started waking me up too in the middle of the night to eat, once he got old.  I put the food in my bedroom so I could feed him without getting out of bed.  It was a pain, but the only way I could get back to sleep.  He didn't follow that up by insisting I get out of bed and take him out which was a blessing.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
How is Tom's hearing? We had a 14 year old male who started wailing during the night when he woke up. We finally figured out he had gone mostly deaf. The vet suggested a night light so that when he woke up, he wouldn't be so disoriented. It worked wonderfully.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the responses. Tom is neutered. It is a stipulation that any animal leaving the shelter must be neutered/spayed and chipped. I agree that it might be part of the tom cat  make up as you always see cartoons about toms wailing on a fence at night. this morning I was awake at  4 expecting to hear his plaintiff cries but they only started later and not as bad as they have ben. Less frequent and quitter. Maybe he is starting to realize that no matter how much he wails it won't deter me. (yeah right!)

As to his eye sight I cannot say. he has interesting specks in his eyes and the vet had mentioned something about them. Usually around 4 am in the summer anyway it is getting bright outside and thru the windows. Come winter it will be dark until at least 8.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
I was wondering about his hearing.  The night light suggestion from my vet was so that if my kitty woke up during the night and couldn't hear anything, the light might help him orient himself--so it wouldn't be quiet AND dark in his world.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

I was wondering about his hearing.  The night light suggestion from my vet was so that if my kitty woke up during the night and couldn't hear anything, the light might help him orient himself--so it wouldn't be quiet AND dark in his world.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.
@betsygee is probably onto something here.  I've heard about other cats who did the same thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My apologise!  You were clear but not only did I misread it but missed your point entirely. I do believe his hearing is good because at times if he is sleeping I'll whisper his name and get a reaction.

Thanks

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Easier said than done but I think if you bear with him and try to ignore his vocalizations they will stop in due time.  As long as you know he is not in any pain.  My cats would like to be fed at 4 a.m. too.  No way!!!

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise

Easier said than done but I think if you bear with him and try to ignore his vocalizations they will stop in due time.  As long as you know he is not in any pain.  My cats would like to be fed at 4 a.m. too.  No way!!!
Hopefully that's the case.  I have a 12 year old who wants to be fed early, too.  I just ignore her (and wear ear plugs to bed now, they help a lot.)