Very fearful cat

Snuugel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats, one of them is very afraid of strangers. He's 1 year old male. He is the most loving cat I could imagine and it breaks my heart to see him being afraid for his life any time my friends or family come over. Now i'm in true trouble. Yesterday my father came to my house to help me with one project. He had to stay overnight and will propably stay next night too. Seeing him arrive my cat instantly ran under the bed I took him out of there and placed him next to his cat tree, there he has 2 hiding places and if he wants he can also climb up the tree for safety. If he sits under the bed he will not know that there is no danger. From the cat tree he can see what we are doing while being in a safe spot. Well he has been sitting inside the cat tree hiding place scince yesterday. He hasn't eaten or drink or used the litter box at all during this time. I have sprayed feliway around the cat tree, me and my father have offered him treats and I even tried to feed him inside his hiding place. He just licks his lips and and stares at my father. Even when we do not give him any attention simply do our project he just keeps staring. He's not aggressive he is simply terrified. I have no idea what to do, usually he warms up to the visitor AT LEAST the next morning of their stay, and even more often he comes out and sees there's no danger in about 4 hours. For example when my mother visited me for the first time scnince I got him it took him only an hour and he was friends with her. My other cat is also getting stressed cause he's not coming out to play with him. I am starting to get really afraid that he will get sick if I don't get him to eat. What can I do?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use indifferent interaction with kitty. Don't initiate any interaction, but let him approach you on his own terms. Get all your visitors to do so, too. He'll get better with time (it may take a long time, though).

If he won't eat, leave him some dry food and water near his 'hidey holes,' where he can get it without coming out. You should be able to see if he's eating something. He will probably eat when he can't be observed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It would probably be best if you let him go back, or take him back, to where he wants to hide - place water/food/litter box in that area and let things be. If he eats/drinks/uses the litterbox, you will know he has ventured at least temporarily away from his hiding spot. At least that way, he can tend to his own basic needs, and his buddy can visit with him too. If he chooses to get interested, then you will see some movement away from his hiding spot, if not - well, then you won't. But, trust me, he WILL know when your dad leaves. Leaving the door ajar, rather than closed, will help him to feel a bit more secure and more comfortable about coming out to eat/drink/etc. and give him and his buddy access to/from the room if either wants it.

Forcing him to be somewhere that he doesn't want to be is adding more stress and because of that he still feels in danger even if no one is trying to hurt him.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Put him in a different room. I have a very timid cat that hides under the couch whenever guests come over. She will not eat because she would have to get out under the bed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Snuugel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your answers! I let him back to the living room (where the bed is) and he decided to hide in his cat tree that's in there. He was there the whole day, at evening me and my dad went there to watch tv. We did no give him any attention but I saw that he was obviously very scared, escpesially when my dad was talking. But after some time he was able to fall asleep and bit later he even came out of the hide to sleep on his bed! Even though me and my dad were talking! But the moment my dad left the room he ran back to the hiding hole. At night he was able to move around even though he saw my dad sleep! This morning when I gave him food he did come to the kitchen but was once again unable to eat. Every time he tried to eat he had to raise his head from the bowl to check the other room that my dad isn't coming to the kitchen. I can't really leave any food for him because my other cat will eat it right away, literally, I could leave whole bag of dry food in the bowl and my other cat would eat it in an instant. When my dad said good morning to me my cat once again ran back to the hiding place. He also seems to be afraid of me when my dad is around? Every time I walk around I see him putting his ears down and stare at me. I do know he will come out of hiding when my dad leaves but is there any way to make him not be afraid of my dad? Or quests in general? Really breaks my heart to see him so scared every time someone comes to visit, usually simply the sound of the door makes him run away. Like I said normally he isn't this scared and usually befriends my guests in few hours. What I do not understand is why is he so afraid? No one has ever hurt him, he came from a great family and he was never afraid of me. He also seems to be afraid of noises in general. It is really weird because he grew up in a family that had kids. Even if there has been no visitors in weeks he has hard time eating, he always keeps checking the kitchen door. Closing the door won't help because then he is afraid that someone will open it. I have been late for work and school many times because I have to sit next to him when he is eating to assure him that no one is coming.