Very excited I found my big cat a new home!

malla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I finally found my big cat a home! She seems pretty much a loner cat and has not adjusted at all to the house with other cats in the 6 months I've had her. She has a Jekyll/Hyde personality, purring when petted only to bite or snarl at you. She also was terrible to attack the other cats and would bite the hell out of them. Her favorite thing was to wake them up by biting them, then fighting them. When they would try to play with her, she'd growl, hiss and fight them. Sometimes she'd just mosey off by herself. She also was absolutely obsessed with getting outside. The other cats are strictly indoor cats. 

I gave her to a long time friend who will make her an outside pen. He's building in his patio and will now customize it for her. She will be the only pet and will have full run of the house, with two stories, basement, and central air. No other cats for her to worry about or aggravate her. 

She's so beautiful, a large breed Tabby with white belly and feet. I will miss her terribly, in spite of her craziness. I'll miss those big, beautiful eyes. I'll miss her waking me up at 5 AM by walking on me. I'll miss her little meow when I break out the wet food. I'll miss the funny way she'd sit on the dressers and pull her head down and twist her neck upright like the Exorcist or something. 

It breaks my heart to give her up but I know she's not happy with me. I'm in tears as I type this.  

I'm certain I've done the right thing so she can be happy and more free, less aggravated. Yet my mother tells me I'm selfish and mean for "getting rid of her".  

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance I've done the right thing by her. 

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting rid of her? As if! You found her a place to stay, and with somebody who's actually building her a specific enclosure so she can go outdoors safely.

What you did is not "getting rid of" by any means. There's nothing selfish in finding a cat a place where they can be happier as an only cat, with somebody who will enjoy the cat's company. Your actions were caring, not selfish, and don't let Mom tell you any different.

Best wishes to your kitty in her new home!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

malla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Callista. 

I'm beating myself up wondering if I didn't try hard enough or do more for her or give her more time. My mother was not helping!   

malla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll also miss her chewing on my hair all the time and I will never forget her freaking me out by sleeping with her eyes open! 

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Keeping her would have been selfish, what you did was selfless. You gave her a chance to be happy. Thank you for letting her go to a better home.

malla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you.

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a great home you found for her!  Good job!