Veraflox

FrenchToastKitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat has an e.coli infection but is acting perfectly fine. The vet just wants to make sure all infections are out of her system. We gave her the Veraflox tonight for the first time and she immediately started foaming and drooling. Badly. Like mucus just hanging from her mouth. Her vet said that’s normal because cats don’t like the taste and to mix it with her wet food tomorrow (she’s on it for 5 days).

She seems ok now. I gave her some food to cleanse her palette and she’s eating.

Is this truly normal? Also, this may be an insane question, if I mix it with her food and she still has a reaction...will she therefore have a negative connotation to her food and stop eating? Is that a thing? Or is that me being paranoid and crazy. I just don’t want to mess with her and cause more problems when she was doing fine. You know?

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello F FrenchToastKitten I'm sorry to hear of the e.coli infection, the Veraflox is powerful and should knock it out. I don't know if your vet told you it is a broad-spectrum antibiotic as well so it will knock out all other infections if your cat has them. My cat Pixie was on Veraflox for bacterial pneumonia just this past summer and it is indeed normal to see foaming and drooling when it is put in their mouth. As your vet said it is normal because they don't like the taste. I remember seeing the foaming and drooling for the first time really freaked me out. As for your question about the food, I would say every cat is different. We weren't successful with mixing it in with Pixie's food, he wouldn't touch it with the medicine in it. I don't think she will stop eating, but she may avoid that particular food that was mixed with the medicine for a little bit. What type of food does does she eat if you don't mind me asking?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FrenchToastKitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! I’m feeling a little better and she seems ok right now. Which is good. She has been on the Royal Canin Urinary S/O prescription diet since we adopted her when she was 5. She’s 9 now. Which is why I don’t want her to get turned off from it completely because it’s a prescription and I don’t want to mess with that. We’ve mixed things into it before, but she’s also never had this visceral reaction before. So I’m nervous. I think I’ll just see what happens tomorrow. Hoping for the best. She just finished clavamox which smells like bananas. So she’s fine with that. And we just discontinued Baytril and switched to this, because I was too nervous about the side effects and she was giving me a hard time when I put the pill in her food. She still ate after that though. So I think I may he panicking. Which I tend to do when it comes to her. Sigh. Thank you for re-assuring me about the drooling etc.

Pixelated Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You're welcome, I'm glad to help! This forum is full of really kind, helpful folks. They encouraged me and showed lots of kindness and support when Pixie was very sick. I'm glad she still ate the food after the pills. I believe that is a good sign that she will continue eating the food. We all worry about them, they are our babies. Here on the forum, we worry about each other's cats, and in a way they become our cats too. Please keep us posted. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The prescription SO may not be necessary at all. Many vets just recommend prescription food for all issues because they really have no idea about nutrition or they may get some commission from selling prescription foods.

Most urinary issues can be managed with any commercial canned food. There are suggested for food here:

Alternatives to Royal Canin SO
Alternatives to expensive Urinary SO food

Some cats may need to be on SO for life but many do not.

Liquid medicines can be a pain to give because of the yucky taste. Some will still taste yucky even if you mix it with food or something like tuna.

For pills, try Pill Pockets or other similar pill doughs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FrenchToastKitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree and question whether we need to actually do things for our pets or give them this medicine and that medicine, but it's the only food she's ever known and we've never had a problem. So I'm sticking with it. Her current vet didn't prescribe it, it's just what the ASPCA told us she gets fed upon adopting her. So we stuck with it.

Thankfully she didn't have any negative reaction to the Veraflox after the initial foaming and drooling craziness.

We gave it to her for the 2nd time tonight, mixed into her food this time (which the vet suggested might work better) and she thankfully ate all of her food with just a few little bits left over. No reaction. I mixed it in a lot. Hopefully, she's getting what she needs from it by administrating it this way and she's getting it all. But I see no other way. She's acting better than she has in weeks. So I'm hoping everything is out of her when we go in for a follow-up :)