venting about potential adopters

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am currently trying to find a home for our little rescue foster baby. He has a neuter/ vaccination appointment this coming Sunday and will then be ready to find a new home ... I posted an add and I will charge only for his neuter, vaccinations, microchip cost- $85 and include a package with new toys, tunnel and scratcher and litterbox, food ... and I cannot seem to find any half decent person to adopt our little baby. The people that applied are making me so sad :
A family with children told me they had cat experience ... turns out they just dumped their two cats off at a shelter in another state before they moved here less than 3 months ago, then I got a family with two huge hunting dogs with prey drive even though I stated clearly that our kitten is terrified of dogs, another family has no idea if their lease even allows cats, there is the family with three kids under the age of 5 who were so rough with the kitten that I had to intervene ( parents thought that behavior was just " fun play" ...) , two more applicants got rid of cats in the past ... one because he started to spray ( not neutered of course) and the other because they were pregnant - no vaccination needed for indoor cats they said and the kitten will be a gift to their small kid... Oh and ... my favorite ... : the people who said they wanted a new outdoor cat because their last 4 were killed by wildlife in the last 3-4 years ... pulling my hairs out ... ALL of them tried to tell me that I am charging too much and that they would pay $25 max lol ... what is wrong with people? Apparently our throw away society includes cats as disposable? I fear for this little one - who is ... the most easy going kitten ever, he likes people, he likes other cats, he plays, he cuddles, he uses the litterbox - he deserves a good home! ... He will get neutered and vaccinated regardless .... and he can stay here as long as needed. I am sad for all those poor cats out there who end up in less than ideal circumstances ... I decided to take a break from potential adopters ... too depressing lol

catheetiem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, you've really found all the winners, huh?! It's sad knowing that many of these families will end up with a cat, but at least you're doing right by your little guy. At least near me, kitten season came very late this year, but it exploded now and it seems like shelters are getting overrun! And uhm, your prices are very low, these people won't pay more than $25??? I don't know where you're located, but I'm in CT and the standard kitten adoption price is $200-$250, includes spay/neuter, age-appropriate shots, and age appropriate worming, sometimes microchipping sometimes not, depending on the shelter. I'd gladly pay $85, my god.

Wishing you luck with your little guy, he sounds like such a good boy!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep taking applications and you'll get an actual decent human being eventually. Though I have to say that's why I don't adopt my rescues out on my own, I'd probably punch someone.

$85 is very reasonable. It's $100 in shelters and rescues around where I live, though municipal shelters are a lot less, typically around $30 but that's because they're township//county/city facilities and don't rely on donations to stay open.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's difficult to appreciate but be glad the potential adopters saw nothing wrong in getting rid of cats when moving or whatever. If they thought it was shameful they would not have mentioned it, thus making them appear to be suitable adopters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree ... I am glad they were at least honest about it ... and I was't rude to them - just told them that I would be looking for more of a permanent home ... it is hard to stay calm when someone tells me that they had cats eaten by wildlife and think they just need to be replaced ... like ... an item they lost though. The adoption fees here at the shelters are around 150 - which is more than reasonable I think. Our baby will either find a good home with the option to return him if it doesn't work out or ... stay ... Most private rescues here are awful and adopt their kittens out to the next best person that shows up no questions asked - many drive across state lines to get pregnant cats from rural shelters to re-home kittens as they bring more money and are easier to flip than the local homeless older cats that we have in large numbers ... two rescues answered my post ... and offered me to take the kitten ( neutered of course) and find him a good home ... service free to me - no - they would not pay for the vet cost either ... it would be my donation ... and they cannot guarantee where the kitten gets placed ... but they'll find him a home very fast lol ... ( that was likely the most sad e-mail ... even the rescue !)

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A higher adoption fee seems like a good way to weed out the people who aren't serious about the adoption. I think $85 is very reasonable. The fees for my three were $125 each (I think). I hope a good candidate comes your way and I'm glad he has you looking out for him.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you are taking written applications. My two rescues required it, and they weed out the iffy ones. They also require that the cats will be indoor-only. I agree with the $85 fee. You are doing the best for this little guy.