Vent: I am going to strangle this cat.

marie0604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Arggghh! Just venting to avoid throwing my foster cat out on her behind. She has "accidents" directly outside my bedroom door every morning. If I move something in front of her spot, she finds another inappropriate place to go. My landlord is going to FLIP out if she does not stop this. No, it's not health related (she's had a UA, she's had bloodwork, etc). No, I haven't changed the litter type or location since the last time she was using it correctly. I use a non-scented, all natural litter. Yes, I have scrubbed the area with a pet odor eliminating formula. On my hands and knees and with a professional grade rug scrubber. Yes, I have changed foods. Yes, I have tried wet food only to reduce crystals (which the vet says she does not have).
I seriously think she is just a hateful cat. I brushed her the other day, and she was annoyed...so as soon as I put her down, she ran over to my door and pooped. Right in front of me. I am losing my patience. No one wants to adopt this cat because of this issue, so she's been in my house, causing trouble, since May. She will go two or three weeks without an accident and then have them every single day for three weeks.
I am moving back in with my parents for six months between now and my wedding, and I think they may actually throw her out. ::screams:: I am starting to really hate this cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie0604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've only seen her doing it once, and I reacted negatively
But, she has been doing this since May and that happened this week, so I don't think that is the problem. I wish that was the problem though!

marie0604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She practically lived at the vet's office the first three months she was here. Like I said, I wish the solution was that simple. I was going to schedule an appointment to see the vet about putting her on mood altering meds, so she will be going back soon anyways.

One of the vets in the practice always threatens to keep her...maybe this time she actually will

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marie0604

I seriously think she is just a hateful cat. I brushed her the other day, and she was annoyed...so as soon as I put her down, she ran over to my door and pooped.
I am moving back in with my parents for six months between now and my wedding, and I think they may actually throw her out. ::screams:: I am starting to really hate this cat.
I would stop brushing her for a start because she obviously doesn't like it and it's stressing her out.

If the vet seriously wants her then do her a favour and hand her over.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that I thought had behaviour problems and kept peeing and pooping, it turns out (after months of nagging the vet to investigate further) that she has a massive flea allergy, she is flead reguarly and doesn't ever gt fleas but if one bites her, something from the flea bit gets in her bloodstream and she does this and also acts quite strange generally, my solution has been the new flea injection our vets do. I am not saying this is the problem but whatI am saying it could be an underlying health problem. Its quite upset me that you are eing so flippant about getting rid of this cat at the end of the day all cats have different problems, cats aent straight forward animals like humans, we all act differently, maybe you should look at giving her to a no-kill animal shelter if you feel that strongly. he may be unhappy too.

marie0604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rosie- I can't quit brushing her or she'll mat very badly--she's Persian. I have to have her sedated to be shaved down, so I avoid that if at all possible.

I will investigate the flea allergy as I do believe she has a mild flea allergy. She's on prevention, but I imagine she could have gotten bitten at some point. What sort of shot is it?

And, I'm being flippant because I'm partially kidding. I'm not sure if you read the original post, but this is a foster cat. I can't *wait* until she finds her forever home, just like I can't *wait* until any of them find their homes. It opens up foster space and allows another one out of the shelter. (The vet is aware of the fact that she is a foster and always jokes about taking her home.)
Just because I am a foster home doesn't mean that it is okay for this cat to destroy the carpet in my apartment and it doesn't make it any less frustrating. I came here to vent, not really to figure out what is wrong with her...but I will look into the flea allergy causing it. My vet is aware that she is allergic to fleas but never mentioned that that could be the cause of her other problems.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, probably the cause is that she is a foster cat and just needs a permanent home really. Sorry, I was not being nasty, my cat Candy who has the flea allergy drives me nuts, even though she has the flea injection (once every six months-I live in England not sure if its available where you are, don't know the actual name) she still can get bit at any time and does her business everywhere, my hubby goes insane, he really is not a cat lover and it drives him mad.Its me that cleans it up but yes, its a chore that is unneccessary but atleast I have an answer.Whenever sh starts acting a bit odd and messing I just flea her again, I find that frontline isn't very effective, I swear by Bob Martin Vetcare, its fantastic, I get it off ebay. I really don't know what the problem is with this kitty but I hope she finds a permanent home soon-well done for you taking her on as a foster cat.xx

marie0604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's okay. I was just frustrated when I posted. I spent all afternoon scrubbing my carpets. Claire is not confined to the bathroom until I can get in to see the vet again.

It's Feline Pine, the fine/scoopable type. But this is litter number three since she started. We've tried covered boxes, uncovered boxes, multiple boxes, etc. She'll randomly start using the box and then randomly stop. I keep trying to figure out if there is a change in environment when she is/isn't using the box, but I've yet to find one. The only time she consistently uses it is when she's in a small space, like the bathroom.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, sometimes they are just 'dirty cats'. However in small spaces they wont dirty close to where they sleep so they tend to use the box.

Have you tried using garden dirt in the litterbox instead of litter? We have had some luck with that with ferals who dont know to use the box.

Is it just pooping or peeing too? If its peeing, I would use an enzyme cleaner rather than just a rug cleaner as they can still smell it after the cleaning.

Oh and maybe something in your home is stressing her, is there a foster home you could swap with?

Fosters are always more of a pain than your own

marie0604

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never tried regular dirt. Not sure what she would think about that, lol.

I honestly don't hate this cat, she's just driving me crazy at the moment. If I could just get her to use the litter box, I could deal with all of her other quirks. Unfortunately, I'm fostering this one on my own. No one wanted to take a chance on her because she was in such bad shape when I picked her up, so it's just me.

She usually doesn't give me a hard time with brushing, except maybe an occasional swat when I touch her legs. That day she was just in a terrible mood and exceptionally angry about it. Here's a picture of the monster though:

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
God she is gorgeous!

Her coat looks in really good condition?? I think you're doing a great job!

Can you ply her with treats and scritches before and after the brush? Also are you using a wide toothed comb?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You would be surprised the luck we have with dirt, we buy it in big bags from the local gardening store for litterbox issues, sometimes if they have been out a while its all they will use and then we mix the regular litter in as they start using it

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I knew someone who had a Persian who would only use Petgold Unscented clumping litter. Anything else and he had accidents.

I saw the post about feline pine being the litter. That could be a problem. It seems cats either love it or hate it. Can you also put out a box with unscented scooping litter and see if there is a preference. Kind of a litter "buffet" to see if there is one kind she really likes over the others? You could even try one of those under the bed storage Rubbermaid containers and see if the box size is an issue. One of my cats likes a box for #1 and a box for #2, so maybe she prefers 2 boxes?

I used to have a cat that was very very picky about his litter box. The litter had to be completely changed and the box washed every 3-4 weeks. And scooped 2-3 times a day. If his brother didn't stand up when he pees, I would have bought a Littermaid for one of the boxes.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marie0604

I've never tried regular dirt. Not sure what she would think about that, lol.

I honestly don't hate this cat, she's just driving me crazy at the moment. If I could just get her to use the litter box, I could deal with all of her other quirks. Unfortunately, I'm fostering this one on my own. No one wanted to take a chance on her because she was in such bad shape when I picked her up, so it's just me.

She usually doesn't give me a hard time with brushing, except maybe an occasional swat when I touch her legs. That day she was just in a terrible mood and exceptionally angry about it. Here's a picture of the monster though:
Oh my gosh she doesn't LOOK like a monster!!
Good advice about litter here. Also with the brushing? Are you trying to do it all at once? Some cats have a low threshold for the stimulation and you need to do it bit by bit.