Veggies in commercial raw food for cats?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
From what I've heard, when a cat eats another animal out in the wild, THAT animal is normally an herbavore, meaning it ate fruits and vegies, so has those in it's system.   So, a small percentage of fruits and vegies would be in a cat in the wild's diet, from eating everything of that animal it hunted.

Does that make sense? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crica

Skeptic
Young Cat
Purraise
yes, but the amount of veggies in a tummy of a bird or squirrel cant be enough to be 4th or 5th on a list of ingredients, like primal raw, would it?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

yes, but the amount of veggies in a tummy of a bird or squirrel cant be enough to be 4th or 5th on a list of ingredients, like primal raw, would it?
Well, yes, that' quite true.  So, specific to Primal, if you go to their FAQs, you will see that they use organic produce as much as possible instead of synthetic vitamins and minerals.  http://www.primalpetfoods.com/phpkbv2/question.php?ID=19

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think they put veggies and fruits in there because most people think it's healthier, not because the cats really need them.  I've seen cans of premium grain free cat foods with stuff like cranberries or whatever is the latest health food fad for humans.   If a cat does actually eat the stomach contents of the prey, it's only going to have a tiny amount of vegetable matter in there, plus it will have the digestive enzymes necessary to break down the plant matter.  I'm unsure if those digestive enzymes are included in these cat foods. 

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I will say that my guy is one of the fussiest cats I have ever seen. 

He also has IBD and has to be on a novel protein. He is eating rabbit. 

I tried all the high end, high protein,/low carb food. He turned his nose up at them all. Even the lamb, pork, rabbit, bison, etc...

The only food he will eat is the Pride line of rabbit. That has spinach and carrots in it!!!!   Who would have know????  But he eats  that food. 

I do not know what it is, but if the veggies make him eat and he is happy, then I am happy.

There has to be something to the veggies, if my cat is drawn to it..