vegetarian cat food

dangcatsfault

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone out there feed their cats vegetarian foods? Has anyone or does anyone use a cat food product called Evolution Diet?

babybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not sure if it is really good for them since cats are carnivores and I have read that they must have meat in their diet, probably because that is what is natural to them. I know that many vegetarian pet foods are enriched with the vitamins and what not that the cats and dogs need so I don't think there would be any harm in feeding them that. At the same time I must add that I read that it works better for dogs than cats. I think there is lots of contradictory info out there. I think that since the cats are carnivores it is probably best for them to eat meat and is more natural than giving them a vegetarian diet and having to supplement the stuff they are not getting out of it. But in the end it comes down to the owner of course, and what they think is best for their kitty.

I hope someone has more info on Evolution Diet, unfortunately I don't.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are most definitely carnivores, and the best diet for a feline is one that is meat-based. Cats do not produce taurine and get it strictly from their diet. That said, I understand that there are some vegetarian foods that supplement the taurine, vitamins, etc. that would be lacking in a vegetarian diet. Before choosing any vegetarian foods, please please please check with your vet to ensure that the food does in fact have the proper level of nutrients to sustain your cat's health.

Personally, I wouldn't deny cats what they are designed to eat and digest. People can choose to be vegetarian or vegan for moral reasons, but I don't think it's fair to a cat who doesn't share those morals to have that forced on them and go against their nature and design.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are carnivores. I personaly would not change them to something they are not designed to eat. but thats just me. As another poster said, we can choose, they are simply made that way.

That being said, absolutely check with your vet about this diet! And I did...dig a little bit for you...and was a bit surprised to find the diet is actually made here in Minnesota,

Evolution Diet
287 E 6th Street Suite 70 Minneapolis MN USA
Phone: 651-228-0632 651-228-0467 email: [email protected]
Wesbite: http://www.petfoodshop.com/
2) Evolution Diet Gourmet Pasta or Gourmet Fondue Cat Dry Kibble

Ingredients: Whole Grain Wheat Flour, or Whole Oat Groats, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Meal, Soybean Oil, Carrots, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Potato Product, Dried Molasses, Deflourinated Phosphate, Lecithin, Sea Kelp, Taurine, Garlic, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Nutritional Yeast, Arginine, DL-Methionine, Enzyme Bromelain from Pineapple Stem & Fruit, Enzyme Papain from Papaya, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium Bifidum fermentation product, Lysine, Choline Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D2 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Ascorbic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Thiamin Mononitrate, Kelp Meal, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite complex, Folic acid, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Inositol, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Zinc Methionine Complex, Copper Lysine Complex, Manganese, Methionine Complex, Arachidonic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Cobalt Glucoheptonate.

Guarenteed Analysis

Crude Protein (Minimum)..........30.0%

Crude Fat (Minimum)................14.0%

Crude Fiber (Minimum)...............3.5%

Moisture (Minimum).................10.0%

Ash Content (Minimum)..............6.0%

leesali

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Personally, I wouldn't deny cats what they are designed to eat and digest. People can choose to be vegetarian or vegan for moral reasons, but I don't think it's fair to a cat who doesn't share those morals to have that forced on them and go against their nature and design.

As a strict vegetarian for over 20 years now, I totally agree. My litte spoiled fuzz-nuts get everything from sirloin steak to chicken breasts
Their food costs more than mine...lettuce & pasta is cheap.

enigma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't feed my kitties vegetarian food, just because they are who they are and i can't deny them that. (i am not vegetarian myself.) i give props to ppl that are vegetarians...
i could never give up my wendys spicy chicken sandwich but i think it is wrong to deny your cat their natural needs. but if you must, defianlty check with your vet. their could be health issues you don't know about, and make sure the brand is valid. cats need taurine in their diet, as well as a few other things you wont find in a vegetarian diet.

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't ever feed my cats a vegetarian diet. I know there are a few people here that do, and hopefully they will chime in if you still want to go veg for the kitty. I just don't agree with modifying an animal that is an obligate carnivore into a strict herbivore. It never works out for the benefit of the cat.

Spotz

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Spotz

I wouldn't ever feed my cats a vegetarian diet. I know there are a few people here that do, and hopefully they will chime in if you still want to go veg for the kitty. I just don't agree with modifying an animal that is an obligate carnivore into a strict herbivore. It never works out for the benefit of the cat.

Spotz
what Spotz said...

cessena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I vaguely recall seeing a special on TV where cats were fed a vegetarian diet and they went blind. I couldn't do that to a kitty just because I wasn't comfortable with the idea of them eating meat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dangcatsfault

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the answers. I am not a vegetarian and I am in total agreement with leesari and the rest of you that cats are carnivores and therefore should be eating what is natural to them. I feed my cats at home meat-based cat foods. I was just wondering if anyone had tried that particular cat food before. It is used in one of the santuaries I know of.

I've been told that the dog food is just about the same as the cat food but with Taurine added. From the looks of the ingredient list it sure doesn't sound too tasty. I DO know that it smells like a chile relleno... as in the mexican dish with egg cooked around a green chile and smothered in a red sauce.

Though I guess if a cats' never had a chile rellano, he/she wouldn't know that's what it tastes like. Hmm....