Vegan Cat Food Hunt

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually became vegan after I got my cat and started researching what a species appropriate diet was for them. Everything about a cat's body suggests they're an obligate carnivore, and everything about a human's body suggests they're herbivores. (I recognise we're officially classed as omnivores, it just doesn't show in our bodies.) It was a logical decision I made, but started then learning about animal ethics and the abuse that goes into factory farming. I could no longer participate in that, and felt very strongly about it. Never for a second did I consider feeding my cat a vegan diet, though.

A human would get high cholesterol and heart disease over time if it were fed a 100% carnivorous diet, resulting in various illnesses such as stroke or heart-attacks. A felid, if fed a 100% herbivorous diet, would develop illnesses such as diabetes.

It's as simple as that. It's just not an appropriate diet for their species, in the same way that their diet wouldn't be appropriate for us.

I understand the disconnect. I was vegan for 2 years and was very aware that my actions (feeding my cat meat) and my beliefs (factory farming is wrong and I shouldn't support it) were in direct contradiction to eachother. I made the choice to care for this cat though, so it's my responsibility that she lives her life thriving and not suffering.

If I were to feed her a vegan diet my beliefs and actions would also be in contradiction. I don't believe in the needless suffering of animals, and making a cat be vegan is causing needless suffering.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
But yes, there are hundreds of sites saying cats thrive as vegans. Just like there are hundreds of sites claiming to have the perfect easy weight loss solution, a natural way to cure cancer, a proven method to earn millions from the comfort of your home, and that by simply providing your name, address, ss, and first born child you could get a few thousand dollars tax free. In this digital age people need to cross reference and verify information not just believe it because someone said it.
Cough....dihydrogen monoxide.

Junk science sites are everywhere, and it is incredibly hard to weed them out. The absolutely most innocuous little thing, teeth staining from tea, I am honestly not sure if I found a junk science site or not and I'm usually pretty good at ferreting out questionable claims. If you type in a search of a more polarized idea than teeth staining, at least half of the initial suggestions by your search engine will likely be junk science. And if there's a kernel of truth, such as cold showers increasing dopamine or Himalayan sea salt containing iodine, you are going to find sites that take that nugget of truth and run with it in a ridiculous direction.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cough....dihydrogen monoxide.

Junk science sites are everywhere, and it is incredibly hard to weed them out. The absolutely most innocuous little thing, teeth staining from tea, I am honestly not sure if I found a junk science site or not and I'm usually pretty good at ferreting out questionable claims. If you type in a search of a more polarized idea than teeth staining, at least half of the initial suggestions by your search engine will likely be junk science. And if there's a kernel of truth, such as cold showers increasing dopamine or Himalayan sea salt containing iodine, you are going to find sites that take that nugget of truth and run with it in a ridiculous direction.
I think expanding on this thought in general it needs to be reminded that just because a website says something doesn't mean it's true. We tend to believe a website when many times we should question things.

Your first rule is always Do no harm. This can apply to many things. But with a cat we are not looking at feeding one and just avoiding killing it. We need to focus on it thriving. Also it is not a science experiment.

Many of us have dealt with common cat food we expected to help our cat thrive. Then there were recalls. Pets got sick and many died. This was with years of feeding proven food. Many of Us still have guilt over pets that got health issues much less died. It's a horrible feeling to lose your pet or have them have issues for the rest of their life. I want to stress I wouldn't wish that in anyone. I feel vegan cat diet is a science experiment. For anyone considering this I stress to trade your cat in for say a rabbit. All animals should be fed their species appropriate diet.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello.
I recently went vegan, and no longer want to contribute to ANY Animal suffering, but the problem I have is: does anyone know any UK Brands for vegan cat food that are reasonably priced?
If you guys can give me some brand names that would be great. I do know that cats can be vegan and healthy, but isn't there an extra vitamin male cats need? (My cat is male) please help!
I know this is an old thread but how do you know cats can be healthy on a vegan diet? Are you a board certified veterinary nutritionist? Your cat needs animal protein as that is where your cat derives energy and nutrients from. While they can digest carbs, it is more difficult for them and a waste of energy to process them for little nutrition. I'm sure this has already been said though.