Vaccines for indoor cats?

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all, 

I am wondering if indoor cats should get or need vaccines?  I have seen different advice on different websites so I thought I would ask this question here.  I do not mean to cause a debate but I am really curious.  Thank you.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is a must is the core vaccines.

These are given at about 8 weeks, at 11-12 weeks, then a third time 14-15 weeks.

In other words 3 consecutive vaccines 3-4 weeks apart, then one given at 1 year old.

These are all the same type, FVRCP. 

Rabies vaccine varies depending on the state law where you live, I prefer not to vaccinate against rabies but it's not required here in California.

Once core vaccines are given, as long as the cats are healthy and not compromised, technically they are protected for life.

AVMA unfortunately won't acknowledge this yet, but finally changed the annual vaccine garbage to every 3 years, so it's a start in the right direction.

I may give a vaccine at about 6 years old, but then that's it.

I do NOT care for felv vaccines with the exception of owning a negative cat and a positive cat.

So for me, it's simply cores given, then 1 or so many years later, which really isn't needed but a precaution 'in case' of exposure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for the information and not being condescending.  I seriously did not know this info.  I find it interesting that after a cat is fully vaccinated they are set for life.  Have a great day!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may still stir some debate on this topic.  Typically traditional vets will want you to vaccinate yearly and holistic vet are anti-vax (sometimes even with the kitten shots).

I agree with catwoman707 that yearly vaccinations are not necessary after kitten shots plus the booster at one year for most indoor-only cats.  I would be more cautious if 1) your cat has a habit of slipping out the door, 2) you plan to get another cat which is not immunized, or 3) you live in a rural area where there are a lot of stray/feral cats on your property or 3) there may be rabid animals in the area.

I used to have my cats vaccinated annually until 1997.  That year I took my 10 year old cat for her check up and shots.  The vet asked if she was indoor-only and had any exposure to other cats.  She was never outside, but I did have two other indoor-only cats.  The vet said, "We don't really recommend vaccinating after 10 years old because the risk of an adverse reaction to the vaccine itself is much higher than the risk of an indoor cat getting the diseases.  By law, I can't tell you not to vaccinate you cat, but it is your decision."  That was from a traditional vet who had apparently been reading more current literature.

The vet's advice was really more targeted at senior cats, as younger cats will have fewer bad reactions to vaccines than older cats.

Anyway, I did some reading on my own and started just getting the kitten shots and the last shot at one year.  You can have titers run which is a test to see if the antibodies for the diseases are still in the bloodstream.  If they detect the antibodies the cat still has immunity.

Last edited:

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes.  I realize this is a controversial subject.  I just want to do what is best for the animal.  In my area, I would have to get the cat a rabies shot as I believe it is the law.  Thanks so much for more info.  

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes.  It's really up to you to assess the level of risk of exposure for your cat, and then do what you are comfortable with.  Rabies requirements extended to 3 years here.  Titer testing studies were finally run (several years ago) proving that one rabies vaccine is good for at least 7 years, and probably for life.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoor only.  They came as rescues, but a few were kittens (I did TNR and kept any kittens I trapped, rather than adopt them out).  The kittens get the usual baby routine.  And boosters until age 2.  The rescues usually come with some data - even if from a shelter or rescue, that facility gave them a set of shots.  So they have had the basics, IMO.  Thus, going forward, I only keep up the rabies vaccine.  It is mandated by law, and the consequences are not acceptable IMO.

I had an ill cat badly scratch a vet tech on her forearm, during a blood draw.  The vet tech was up to date on all HER required vaccines.   This cat was age 18.  Under the law of the state, if the cat died within 2 weeks, a  necropsy was required.  NOT going to happen with my baby!   The lab report was not good, and the cat declined rapidly, so that I had to make the hard decision.  I went to another vet to have the cat PTS, just 4 days later, and did not report it to the other place ("my" vet practice for 21 years) until 4 weeks later.  They were not pleased but privately the vet told me she was glad I did what I did.  She didn't want the cat to suffer needlessly as I tried to keep him going for the 2 weeks; and she understood my motivation in using another vet.  Oh, the key factor:  this cat was completely up to date on rabies vaccines!  I and my vet practice had all his records for the entire 18 years.  Did not matter, under the law, if he died w/in 2 weeks, necropsy.  That was quite an eye opener to me, and a strong lesson.  

I did ask, what if he had been out of date on the rabies.  Since it was a bad scratch, they would have had to hold my cat! 

Thus I make sure to keep the rabies vaccine up to date.  No matter what.  The others I stop after age 2 if a kitten, or once I have records showing the adult cat had a round of shots. 

One more thing:  I now do my best to clip nails before all vet visits, no matter how old, current, healthy or ill, no matter the cat's personality (I figure even a loving cat can get upset with a blood draw, should that be needed.).

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of that law. The holding time for is usually 10 days because that is the length of time before rabies would become apparent. Even vaccinated dog/cats have to be quarantined for that 10 days after a bite. I have never heard of it for a scratch.

I would have done exactly the same as you.  Techs and Veterinarians accept the possibility of being injured by a sick or frightened pet as part of the job.

I'm sorry for your loss. A friend of 18 years is a friend indeed.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you.  This happened 4 years back.  State of Massachusetts.  I may be wrong on the 2 weeks vs. 10 days, as it has been some time. 

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a good cautionary story for everyone, Freedom!  I had a cat bite me during a vet visit and I got blood poisoning.  I was petting her head and chin while the vet examined her.  When he pressed on her behind, she bit into the fold between my thumb and index finger.  (That's how we found out that she had impacted anal glands.)     Tiny puncture wound that didn't even bleed, but could have killed me.  Good thing she bit me, and not the vet!

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, sorry to read that @Orange&White   Didn't the doctor / hospital have to report it when you went for treatment?  I had one of my own cats bite me, and I ended up in hospital for a week with round the clock IV antibiotics.  I had a visit from the ACO (animal control officer) who was going to hold my cat for 10 days.  He allowed me to keep the cat home because the cat was getting hypothyroid pills twice a day, and no way they could do that at the shelter.

Yes, that was an indoor only cat.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

Wow, sorry to read that @Orange&White   Didn't the doctor / hospital have to report it when you went for treatment?  I had one of my own cats bite me, and I ended up in hospital for a week with round the clock IV antibiotics.  I had a visit from the ACO (animal control officer) who was going to hold my cat for 10 days.  He allowed me to keep the cat home because the cat was getting hypothyroid pills twice a day, and no way they could do that at the shelter.

My husband almost lost his hand over a cat bite, not one of ours. It's the lack of bleeding and a bite that seals up quickly that allows the bacteria to flourish so quickly. Hands seem to be especially prone to the infections.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No, I guess there is no such requirement in my state, or at least not at the time. Or the vet didn't realize that the cat had punctured my hand.

It was actually my boyfriend at the time who almost killed me. The cat bite happened on a Saturday morning appointment and I was spending the rest of the weekend with my boyfriend. I told him that my cat had bitten me and my hand really hurt. He said, “Oh, I've been bitten several times by cats. It hurts like h*ll for a few days, but you'll be ok.” I couldn't sleep for two nights because of the pain, and by Sunday night the pain was traveling up my arm and getting much worse. My boyfriend kept acting like I was just being a whiny baby and needed to toughen up.

By Monday morning I went to work and told my boss about the bite and the pain, and that I wasn't sure I was even going to be able to type on the computer to do my work, that I might need to make a doctor's appointment. My boss's eyes got large and asked, “Do you have a red stripe going up your arm?” I pulled up my suit sleeve, and sure enough there was a 1” wide reddish strip up my arm all the way between my elbow and shoulder. He said, “That's blood poisoning. Call your doctor RIGHT NOW.”

The doctor got me in at 11AM Monday and said a few more hours it would have reached my heart and I likely would have been dead. The treatment was a huge dose injection of penicillin and a course of antibiotics.

Sorry...we are veering off the topic of vaccines, but maybe the OP and mods will forgive one more cautionary tale...

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I enjoy these types of threads. I was told by my vet that rabies is now every 3 years. It used to be every year. They recently changed it. Then the distemper one is 3 years as well. I have not been doing the Fel Leuk shots the past 2 years. We were doing them on all 3 of my cats but now we have 2. I will probably discuss this with the new vet we will be trying out this summer. If I decide to. I may decide to stick with the ones we are already familiar with. They have been raising the prices steadily the past 3 years and it's cheaper to take them to a big hospital than to the smaller run hospital near me. Something I have to figure out.

Anyways yes the titer test will show what antibodies are still left. I am not sure how much these tests cost. It may be cheaper to have this done at a larger hospital than the small mom and pop one.

I see that every five years there have been things that have changed. It used to be that my cats got 2 shots every year for the past 2 decades. Now looks like it's only 1 shot a year for fel leuk and the rabies/distemper is now every 3 years.

good to get this info out there as things seem to always change.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

I enjoy these types of threads. I was told by my vet that rabies is now every 3 years. It used to be every year. They recently changed it. Then the distemper one is 3 years as well. I have not been doing the Fel Leuk shots the past 2 years. We were doing them on all 3 of my cats but now we have 2. I will probably discuss this with the new vet we will be trying out this summer. If I decide to. I may decide to stick with the ones we are already familiar with. They have been raising the prices steadily the past 3 years and it's cheaper to take them to a big hospital than to the smaller run hospital near me. Something I have to figure out.

Anyways yes the titer test will show what antibodies are still left. I am not sure how much these tests cost. It may be cheaper to have this done at a larger hospital than the small mom and pop one.

I see that every five years there have been things that have changed. It used to be that my cats got 2 shots every year for the past 2 decades. Now looks like it's only 1 shot a year for fel leuk and the rabies/distemper is now every 3 years.

good to get this info out there as things seem to always change.
There is a current protocol concerning pet vaccines. The purevax 3 year is allowed by almost all states for cats. It is considered to be the safer rabies vaccine. Your kit will need the one year and after that it's every 3. Be careful of the brand you allow a veterinarian to inject. As far as I know to date Purevax is the only rabies without an adjuvant.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Around here, titers are about 3 times the cost of the vaccine.  I just keep up with the research.

I have to 'debate' the issue with my vet almost every time.  I am the Guardian for these animals, it is my decision.  I know the AVMA protocol requires regular vaccines.  I read up to the best of my ability, and I make the final decision.  I do this with the dogs inn my care, as well.  (We have much longer debates regarding my dogs!  They are of course in and out, at play dates and so forth, so technically they are exposed to a lot more than indoor only cats.)

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
yes that is correct. That is the only one we use because Floey had a bad reaction to a non purvax rabies shot.

She got swelling in her leg and hissed and snapped at me for a day and wouldn't leave her bed on my bed. I took her to the er vet and then when they asked me if any recent shots..that's when we discovered it was the rabies vaccine and it wasn't Purevax. So I always ask for non-adjuvant now. They did a short duration pred shot and gave her a pain shot because she was pretty uncomfortable. After that I always make sure it's purevax. This is one reason why I don't really want to use a new vet. the expensive one we use does have Purevax or at least they did 2 years ago. Last summer I didn't ask. Jon took one of them in for her shots-Honeybee so I wasn't there to ask.

This year I will remember to ask before I book their checkups in July. We do the checkups a month before we go on vacation to make sure no bad reactions when we are in Maine and far away from good vets.

Last edited:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.catvets.com/guidelines/practice-guidelines/feline-vaccination

Notice on the downloadable PDF that there are core , non-core and other vaccines your veterinarian might recommend depending on your cats and their living situation.

I believe that the vaccines with an adjuvant are cumulative in their relation to cancers at injection sites and other cancers that may not yet be attributed directly to the vaccines. We choose the three year because that's less needles going into our cats and fewer times their immune systems are stimulated.

http://www.villagecatclinic.ca/cats...d-vaccinations-why-should-my-cat-be-concerned

If you veterinarian can't discuss these issues or does not carry Purevax for rabies you might need to find a better veterinarian. I'm not anti vax just think we should do so with caution.

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awesome feedback everyone! Thanks so much.  Makes me think!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I just vaccinate if the vet mentions it's needed. Surprisingly, my vet doesn't bring the topic up much. You'd think it counterproductive not to promote the service since they make money off it.