Vaccine Related Sarcoma

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We all know vaccine sarcomas are a risk, but then they came out with the purevax 3 year vaccine and that was supposed to get rid of the adjuvant that was causing the problems.

Well guess what - the follow up studies shows it makes no difference. The sarcomas are appearing in the new injection sites at the same rates:

Surprizing Answers to 2 Important Vaccine Questions | Dr. Doug
Feline postvaccinal sarcoma: 20 years later

That’s it, I’m done with vaccines, they had the full kitten series/boosters and rabies shots and that’s it. I don’t buy the 1-10,000 chance either given there’s no mandatory reporting of vaccine related saracomas. I’m sure I’ll get the rabid bat speech, required by law, blah, blah, blah. (And I am not in anyway a human anti-vaxer - which I think is nuts.)

If you think a sarcoma isn’t bad, watch what happens when you know someone whose cat is suffering with one. The leg gets cancer and then it eventually causes it to break. The cancer always spreads even if you amputate the leg. Plus amputating doesn’t buy you much time, once your cat gets this cancer there’s pretty much nothing you can do. It’s disgusting that the Veterinary profession and the manufacturers have done pretty much nothing but study this and say “oh well.”

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats had a nasal vaccine boosters, it could be a good compromise.
But it’s not only about vaccines, lots of other meds are given through injections. I choose oral med whenever possible but for lots of cat injection is the only option

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With vaccines like every other medication it is a matter of weighing benefits against risk. For an indoor only cat the full kitten series and then the boosters at one year may well be reasonable.

Teri122

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadly, it is looking like it is the injection itself, regardless of what is being given, that may cause the reaction.
And even more sad is the fact that vets bully people into allowing their cats to get vaccines that we know should not be given.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
With vaccines like every other medication it is a matter of weighing benefits against risk. For an indoor only cat the full kitten series and then the boosters at one year may well be reasonable.
There shouldn’t be this much risk IMO. Or at least the risk is justifiable for the kitten series and the boosters. I don’t think most vets bully anyone (they can’t tell you to break the law), but I also think they don’t really have the benefit of massive data collection (this site probably collects more evidence/findings of a sort and I doubt any vets are coming home and digging through the posts.) I mean how many people come home and see convenia on the bill and have to come here to find out it’s probably better to stick with traditional antibiotics.