Vaccination Question ?

kysa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please tell me what currently is being recommended for core kitten vaccination schedule? For years when we had kittens vaccinated it was a series of 3 for the core FVRCP vaccines starting about 8 weeks of age. Now the vet we took our kitten to says a series of 4. I am concerned this is over vaccination. Our second kitten became very ill after the fourth shot. Thanks.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's important for the last set of kitten shots to be given no sooner than 16 weeks of age, because some kittens still have maternal immunity at 12-14 weeks. If the shots are given 4 weeks apart, a series of 3 will work (8 weeks, 12 weeks, 16 weeks) and this is what I do for my kittens.

UC Davis guidelines:
Vaccination Guidelines for Dogs and Cats | School of Veterinary Medicine

AAFP Feline Vaccination Advisory Panel Report (2013):
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals

AAFP 2006 vaccination guidelines: https://catvets.com/public/PDFs/PracticeGuidelines/VaccinationGLS-summary.pdf

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think itr was the kind of vaccination given, ie. rabies, distemper, etc. not being the 4th vaccination. Find out which vaccination was given then. It would be extremely unusual for a kitten to react to a 4th shot and not the first three. I had a cat trhat reacted badly to the rabies vaccine, but none of the others. He became very sleepy and developed a fever.