Vaccination problems

kittysback

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our 4 year-old female, Typo, has issues with getting her vaccines. The last two years, she was given a distemper/rabies combo vaccine and both times ended up at the emergency vet (because my vet had left for the day). The first time she went into anaphylactic shock and needed a beneadryl shot. Thankfully she was OK.

The next time, the shot was given in her back leg and within an hour, she was unable to use that leg. It would give out and she would fall over. After an X-Ray and a few hours in the ER, she was fine, but the ER vet said my vet must have "hit a nerve" or something.

Is my vet just horrible at giving shots? My other 3 cats have not had any issues with vaccines.

All four of my cats are going in on Friday for checkups and I'm wondering if I should take Typo someplace else. Or if I should demand that Typo stay for a few hours for observation after her shots so they can make sure she is OK before I leave with her.

I was once told by a vet tech on another forum that there's no such thing as a "combo distemper/rabies" vaccination. But my cats' records show this is what they get.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't vaccinate her anymore. The distemper shot and rabies shot, when given to an adult cat, confer immunity for at least 7 years and probably for life. If rabies vaccine is required by law, that can be hard to get around, but it's possible that annual vaccination isn't required. If it is, ask your vet about giving the PureVax vaccine, which is less likely to cause an anaphylactic reaction. If you absolutely must give her both shots, ask about giving her a Benedryl injection first. If the vet isn't willing to do anything to prevent her from having a reaction, definitely find a new vet.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the rabies vax is required by law you can get a waiver from your vet stating the health risk to your cat.

I've had to do this this one of my cats and my dog.

Keep in mind, this waiver only protects you from legal repercussions from not giving the vax. If your cat bites someone, the waiver will not help you.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AWW your poor little kitty..... :(. I am really sorry and actually the vet should know better than to keep vaccinating this cat...... I would never give your cat another vaccination. Vet's really don't want people to know this and especially the drug companies. After your dog/cat receives the initial puppy/kitten vaccines and then again one year later - they are immune for life. I also would give another vaccine at age 3 though and then never again. You can do titres tests to prove the immunity is there in your cat. I have never heard of a combo distemper/rabies vaccine. Please do not let them vaccinate your kitty this week...

There are many, many vet's now that have come to accept this and are not recommending vaccines every year anymore. I just gave my one year old kitten's their last vaccine. Presley was very, very ill. Lethargic, temperature of 104.9, and needed fluids. I will never vaccinate him again.

Make some calls before Friday to other vet offices and tell them what happened to your cat the last two years. I think you will find out that they will recommend NO vaccines for Typo, ever. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittysback

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm definitely going to insist that Typo does not get vaccinated again! I will keep you posted with what the vet says. I didn't know I could get a waiver. Thanks for that info. My cats are indoors only cats. I always felt it didn't make sense to get them vaccinated every year. Thanks again!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm definitely going to insist that Typo does not get vaccinated again! I will keep you posted with what the vet says. I didn't know I could get a waiver. Thanks for that info. My cats are indoors only cats. I always felt it didn't make sense to get them vaccinated every year. Thanks again!
PHEW!!! I am glad to hear this. You could also run "blood titre tests" if you need that for boarding your kitty. If you have an in-home petsitter then you won't even need those :D!!!