Vacation

jdp1886

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My wife and I are going on a road trip from our home in Kansas to California. The most we will be gone is 7 days. We have three indoor/outdoor cats. I have left strict instructions with our 18 year old daughter on how to care for them while we are gone. I am still worried because I have never left them before and I do most of the taking care of them. Do cats normally do okay? Please share your experiences and maybe I can worry a little less. Thank you

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So long as you have someone you trust lined up to care for them (and you do :) ) they should do just fine. Remember that they have each other too, so will keep each other company to a degree.

We had four to six (it varied over the years) indoor/outdoor cats growing up, and we went on trips several times - the longest being a couple of months. The cats were always very pleased to see us return, but had been totally fine whilst we were away with a family member house and cat sitting while we were gone. We also took care of friends' cats when they went on vacation. Again, there was no sign of stress from the cats while their owners were away, but they were very pleased to see them when they returned.

Honestly - you have nothing to worry about. Your furkids will do just fine :hugs:

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Normally when we travel we have one girl (well, she's 30 now!!) that has always come to our house twice a day to feed, scoop, and when we had a dog, to walk him.  The cats ALWAYS fared much better than the dog!  One cat would always love all over us once we got home, and the other would look at us like "You were gone? I hadn't noticed."   However, she always told us that one cat would hide from her the first day, then would be all over her by the end of the week before we came back.  I think they are fine as long as someone with thumbs comes and opens a can and scoops their port-a-potties (I think that's how they see them!)

I do have to ask, not to be disrespectful, but because I've been there---is your 18 year old up for it?  The reason I ask, I had my 18 year old watch 3 dogs one time while we were away for 3 days.  Came home to a huge mess.  HUGE.  They were fed at erractic times and let outside to do their business off-schedule, creating accidents, vomiting, all sorts of havoc.  He slept late in the mornings and was "too busy" to let them out before he left going out with his friends a couple of times.  I had dried dog pee everywhere.  I'd hate to come in to what happens when litterboxes get too full.