Vacation Options for Cat

Kgraham1511

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I am planning on going on vacation for about a week and unfortunately cannot take our 1.5 year old cat with us. He is a Maine coon and very out going and not scared by much. I am trying to figure out what option would be best for him while I am gone. We have two.

The first being a cat only boarding place that he has stayed at before for only a few days. The only down side is the rooms are a little bit bigger than a closet. Granted they do let them out to roam alone for a little bit, or so I am told. I am just afraid he won't get much attention for 5 days and he loves people.

The second option is he could stay with my mom. She has two small dogs, which I don't think he will be scared of. He doesn't really ever run and hide since we have had him.
I know with my mom he would get lots of attention and room to play.

I also know stress is hard on animals and my mom's house would probably be the most stressful choice on him.

Which would be the best either little attention or a more attention with more stress?

Any advice on which would be the best option for him?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How soon are you going on vacation? If there is time, take your cat for an afternoon visit with your mom and the dogs and see how it goes. Also, for just five days - does your mom have a spare room where cat can be isolated for the five days?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Since he hasn't been introduced to those dogs (as I understand your post?) I don't think that's a viable option. There's just no way to know, it could be somewhat smooth sailing or it could really go side-ways. Even if he's put into a spare room, someone who isn't necessarily used to cats won't be prepared for a door-darter either way (dogs in, cat out)

He's been at the cat-only boarding place before and if he came home from the previous boarding there and acted his normal self, I think that's your best solution :) 5 days isn't much longer than his earlier stay, and cats are quite resilient when things aren't too out of whack for them :heartshape:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The second option is he could stay with my mom. She has two small dogs, which I don't think he will be scared of. He doesn't really ever run and hide since we have had him. I know with my mom he would get lots of attention and room to play.
Have you considered having your mom come to your house to cat sit? Cats frequently do best in their own surroundings/environment. This way she could give him attention and play with him but without interruption or worry regarding the dogs. I would recommend coming in twice a day for feeding, changing his water bowl, checking the litter box and playing with him. :runningcat: