Utis From Infected Meat

Jason2321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(Didn't know wether to post this under health or nutrition)

This is concerning and disgusting

New Findings: The Worst Grocery Meat for Resistant Fecal Bacteria

As a raw feeder and as many others do on the forum, how do we feel about this, should we be concerned?

I always buy my meat from the local butcher or the "bio store" as we call it over here, not sure how to translate that. But infections can always happen and this is rather disturbing news.

Opinions?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The issue of bacteria in the raw meat we feed comes up constantly. Bottom line, in the 12 plus years I've fed a raw diet using grocery store meat it just hasn't been a problem. Not to say something serious can't happen. Just that in my experience it is just not as much of a concern as the constant worry about it warrants.

Is there any evidence that raw fed cats are more prone to UTIs? Why is it you have a particular concern about UTIs? There are more serious illnesses that can be caused by bacteria in food.

Last edited:

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not tried this (yet) but can't you cook basically just the outside of the chicken/pork/whatever you feed to kill any surface bacteria?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Although I like Dr. Karen Becker for some advice once in a while, I wouldn’t trust the “human” side of the Mercola website. I’d have to do some more research into where this article is getting its info from.

Like others, I have fed raw meat for 10+ years to cats. Never had a single problem. I also buy meat without antibiotics.