UTI?

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So this morning one of my cats is doing the peeing thing, everywhere. I just went to the store to get some D-Mannose. The only thing I've done different in the last few days has been giving her egg yolk powder because she's chronically constipated. I'm wondering if that threw her PH out of balance. I am mindful of carbs in food & only feed low-mid carbs, usually under 30 DM.

My guess is the egg yolk powder. I don't know if more phosphorus can cause an issue. I will have to do some research.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has the constipation been resolved this time? If not, it might be bothering her enough to avoid using the litter box even for peeing.

It seems like there are a number of members who use egg yolk powder, and I don't recall hearing about any issues related to peeing. But not all cats react the same to all things. Although, urine PH can impact the bladder, I wouldn't think that it would cause an issue with just a few days of egg yolk powder, unless perhaps your cat already has a PH problem to begin with. Maybe try Miralax instead, just as a precaution?

Some folks use psyllium husk if fiber is the issue behind her constipation. Since you say your cat has chronic constipation, have you changed her diet to see if that might be the problem? Getting your cat to take in more water is also always beneficial.

If your cat does have a UTI, D-Mannose is not going to cure it. You probably ought to have a urinalysis done to either confirm or rule out an infection, because it there is an infection, she will need antibiotics. D-Mannose can help to ward off future infections though by reducing the level of bacteria in the bladder. Although a lot of people give their cats D-Mannose for overall bladder health, I am not aware of it having much of an impact on urine PH one way or the other, so if your cat is having urine PH issues, it probably wouldn't do much from that aspect. My cat has been getting pure D-Mannose for over 2 years and it has not affected her urine PH level.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has the constipation been resolved this time? If not, it might be bothering her enough to avoid using the litter box even for peeing.

It seems like there are a number of members who use egg yolk powder, and I don't recall hearing about any issues related to peeing. But not all cats react the same to all things. Although, urine PH can impact the bladder, I wouldn't think that it would cause an issue with just a few days of egg yolk powder, unless perhaps your cat already has a PH problem to begin with. Maybe try Miralax instead, just as a precaution?

Some folks use psyllium husk if fiber is the issue behind her constipation. Since you say your cat has chronic constipation, have you changed her diet to see if that might be the problem? Getting your cat to take in more water is also always beneficial.

If your cat does have a UTI, D-Mannose is not going to cure it. You probably ought to have a urinalysis done to either confirm or rule out an infection, because it there is an infection, she will need antibiotics. D-Mannose can help to ward off future infections though by reducing the level of bacteria in the bladder. Although a lot of people give their cats D-Mannose for overall bladder health, I am not aware of it having much of an impact on urine PH one way or the other, so if your cat is having urine PH issues, it probably wouldn't do much from that aspect. My cat has been getting pure D-Mannose for over 2 years and it has not affected her urine PH level.

She has been constipated for years. I have tried psyllium, Miralax, Benefiber & different foods. I bought the egg yolk powder a couple years ago & because of the age of my cats, I wasn't wild about trying due to the phosphorus but I did anyway. It makes me sad to see my girl struggle with pooping. Haven't seemed to have found anything that consistently works.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has the vet done any testing - maybe beginning with x-rays to look for structural abnormalities? It would likely require a colonoscopy to look at the tissue for nerve damage, but I am guessing your cat is of the age that you are not too keen on sedating her for such a procedure. However, x-rays could be done without sedation.

Have any vets suggested trying some motility meds to see if that might help?

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has the vet done any testing - maybe beginning with x-rays to look for structural abnormalities? It would likely require a colonoscopy to look at the tissue for nerve damage, but I am guessing your cat is of the age that you are not too keen on sedating her for such a procedure. However, x-rays could be done without sedation.

Have any vets suggested trying some motility meds to see if that might help?

Last time I asked the vet about it, he told me to use Miralax. I would love to find a holistic vet to take her to, don't really want to give her meds, would rather fix the problem is possible.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What dosage are/did you use for the miralax? I found it quite helpful for my angel Poppycat and easy to use.

Are you using filtered water?

Is there something here in the linked article? One of my cats loved drinking out of a tall water glass, and found ice cubes in a bowl interesting as well. Captain isn't much interested in drinking out of anything, so I add water to at least two of his meals daily.

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you feeding her wet or dry food? Wet food is best for constipation, and I even add extra (filtered) ater to my guys' food. Also, maybe try adding in some plain pumpkin, or some people use squash, for added fiber.

I am one who uses powdered egg yolk for one of my boys since he enjoys it so much, but he hasn't had a UTI since he's been on it. Luckily he's only had one UTI in his entire 14.5 years!

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What dosage are/did you use for the miralax? I found it quite helpful for my angel Poppycat and easy to use.

Are you using filtered water?

Is there something here in the linked article? One of my cats loved drinking out of a tall water glass, and found ice cubes in a bowl interesting as well. Captain isn't much interested in drinking out of anything, so I add water to at least two of his meals daily.

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite

The Miralax was 1/8 tsp. I would typically give in the am for breakfast. It did work, for many months, but then she was straining again. So that's when I switched the psyllium & that seemed to work really well. I have the same amount, just 1/8 tsp. Then I saw her straining again so I figured the psyllium has run it's course. It's been a few months now since I've given her some Miralax, I can start doing that again.

Yes, I don't give tap water to them or me LOL

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you feeding her wet or dry food? Wet food is best for constipation, and I even add extra (filtered) ater to my guys' food. Also, maybe try adding in some plain pumpkin, or some people use squash, for added fiber.

I am one who uses powdered egg yolk for one of my boys since he enjoys it so much, but he hasn't had a UTI since he's been on it. Luckily he's only had one UTI in his entire 14.5 years!
I don't feed dry. I added a little water to my cat's food yesterday & not one of them ate it all day. I finally had to put FortiFlora on it to get rid of it. She will let me syringe water into her mouth, some times I do that but I know it's really not enough. Pumpkin does nothing.

That's rad that you can use the egg yolk powder, its chalk full of good things I think. That's a double rad about the UTI. They suck!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's always good to start out low with Miralax, or anything for that matter. But I know of some folks on this site that have given their cat 1/4 tsp twice a day if needed - but, for how long, I don't know. So, maybe if 1/8 tsp a day works for a while and then stops, then up it to twice a day and see how much longer it can benefit her.

I still think with chronic constipation, possible causes need to be considered for a longer-term solution.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've given her 2 doses of D-Mannose now, let her lick some coconut oil, syringed water & then added water to some turkey food. She just peed & it was totally normal. I don't know if what happens is the beginning stages of a UTI which can be terminated by intervention or what the deal is. Not quite out of the woods yet because she is still going around to where she peed earlier (towel, floor mat) & thinking about it, but she hasn't done it. Only in the box so far.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's always good to start out low with Miralax, or anything for that matter. But I know of some folks on this site that have given their cat 1/4 tsp twice a day if needed - but, for how long, I don't know. So, maybe if 1/8 tsp a day works for a while and then stops, then up it to twice a day and see how much longer it can benefit her.

I still think with chronic constipation, possible causes need to be considered for a longer-term solution.
I agree. Wish there were more holistic vets around. People that understood the problems cats face & try to correct it instead of handing out meds to alleviate the symptoms. I prefer to fix the problem.

Yes that's how I learned of Miralax in the first place, from here. Back in the day people used to post so many helpful things, saddens me that many have dropped off or don't come around as often. Lots of knowledge here! Thankful that the posts from old are still available & when you search, a lot of old posts come up.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've given her 2 doses of D-Mannose now, let her lick some coconut oil, syringed water & then added water to some turkey food. She just peed & it was totally normal. I don't know if what happens is the beginning stages of a UTI which can be terminated by intervention or what the deal is. Not quite out of the woods yet because she is still going around to where she peed earlier (towel, floor mat) & thinking about it, but she hasn't done it. Only in the box so far.
If she is going around where she peed before, it's possible she can smell it. Did you use an enzyme cleaner to clean those areas? If not, she may continue to be drawn to those spots. Even if you toss the towel in the washer with hot water,that's not always enough to get rid of the smell to a cat!

FYI, since you mentioned you have more than one cat. My female cats were always very territoriol. Whenever I had a pile of sheets or towels or once a comforter piled on the floor for laundry, one of them would get in the pile and pee on it. I finally figured out she was claiming it as her own! So I learned from then on never to leave anything that looked like a fun pile for them to play on out long enough for her to pee on. She used to poop on the bath mat right in front of me to show her displeasure when we brought the boys into the house :devilish:

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she is going around where she peed before, it's possible she can smell it. Did you use an enzyme cleaner to clean those areas? If not, she may continue to be drawn to those spots. Even if you toss the towel in the washer with hot water,that's not always enough to get rid of the smell to a cat!

FYI, since you mentioned you have more than one cat. My female cats were always very territoriol. Whenever I had a pile of sheets or towels or once a comforter piled on the floor for laundry, one of them would get in the pile and pee on it. I finally figured out she was claiming it as her own! So I learned from then on never to leave anything that looked like a fun pile for them to play on out long enough for her to pee on. She used to poop on the bath mat right in front of me to show her displeasure when we brought the boys into the house :devilish:

Fudge that's crazy. That would drive me insane if they did stuff like that. I wouldn't know how to deal with an animal not using the toilet in the right manner.

My 3 have grown up together so for the most part they get along well. One asserts herself to be the queen & the others fall in line LOL. Yes I have enzyme cleaners but the towel is usually in my car as it's part of my car washing stuff, so it will go back in there once in comes out of the laundry.