Uti?

DeannaF

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are heading to the vet tomorrow to get him checked but wanted to come here for some advise as I'm worried about him. The vet said it's not common for a young cat to get one this early but it does happen... he's 10 months. He does eat wet food and also dry. He's fixed also.

I noticed last night he would use his litter box repeatedly and noticed it again when I got home from work today. He'd use the box then come out and go right back in. He used the box 6 times in about a 20 min span. I've caught it early so I'm being proactive as best as I can. I completely changed out his box so I can observe the waste better..

He is eating and drinking like normal.. only thing has changed is his frequent potty breaks. The good thing is there is pee coming out but just a little and he has went #2 so no blockage that I know of.

I asked the vet what to expect and she said they'll start with a urinalysis and go from there. If he has to go on antibiotics how in the world do you give a cat antibiotics? I'm worried about special food as he is quite picky!

What did you experience and what should I expect with testing and such?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, this does sound like some sort of urinary issue. Could be a UTI, or spasms in his bladder, or swelling in his bladder, or stones. Your Vet will know how to test, and if they give you pills to give him, they can show you how to pill him, or you can go to YouTube and find literally hundreds of videos on how to pill your cat, OR you can try to crush them and mix in his food, OR use pill pockets, OR they may give it to you in liquid form and you can possibly mix in his food. Both my cats were recently on liquid antibiotics, and one loved them. He seemed to like his food better with them :lol:.

We have lots of threads on tricks to pill cats too, so after you know what you're dealing with, try searching or come back here and let us know what you've got to treat him with and we'll try to be of more help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DeannaF

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I woke up this morning I noticed normal sized urine and also lots of #2 in his box. I decided to stick with still taking him just in case. He squeezed his bladder on his side and also with him standing and said it was empty (very good thing) and felt nothing abnormal. He said he could have been constipated but to keep an eye on his usage and most importantly watching how big his urine waste is (i.e. Shouldn't be drops... that shows straining along with frequently going). So I'm going to watch him over the next few days. He said if he was concerned he would have kept him and given fluids so his bladder would fill to collect a sample and test it (since his bladder was so empty there wasn't enough to collect) but he didn't see an immediate reason to at this point.

I do trust him but I will definitely keep an eye on him just in case. :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Whew! All in all, good news.

Are you feeding him dry food only. If so, and he may have been constipated, did your Vet discuss any options for that issue. Some cats are more prone to constipation than others, and at 10 months if this is happening, you may need to consider making some changes. He may need an increase in moisture in his diet, however you can accomplish that. Perhaps add in some wet food, or try to encourage him to drink more by getting him a Pet Fountain, or if you are already feeding wet food, perhaps adding a bit of water TO that wet food? I'm just guessing that you feed kibble only...really have no idea