Uti, Kidney Problems, Stress...?

ameliashuman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We were adopted by an older stray cat in September who was extremely dehydrated and malnourished. I'm becoming more concerned our old man may have some sort of kidney problems. He drinks ALL the time but when you do the pinch the skin on the back of his neck test it is slow to go down. He pees everywhere (including myself :headshake:) and there is a lot of pee. The pee is also sticky, it can be hard to clean up. He eats fine (loves both wet and dry food) and has been gaining weight (but he was extremely underweight when he adopted us). No indications of pain or discomfort when he is handled. Likes to play and cuddle, he does not seem depressed. He does get a bit stressed with our two other cats, but holds his own in asserting himself.

We initially thought it just recovering from being a stray, then we thought it was stress with our two other cats so we created a litter box in a room that the other cats don't use, but he feels comfortable using. This did not solve the problem so we took him to vet three days ago who said he had an UTI and did not have any glucose in his urine (He peed on the vet's floor). She thought it was likely the UTI and recommended resolving that problem first. He has some symptoms consistent with kidney problems, but not others. The cats are not BBFs, but the negative interactions are relatively rare (everyone has a calming collar and we have two feline defusers, this seemed to help improve interactions) However, my non-veterinary gut is telling me there is something bigger than a UTI or stress. Would it hurt our cat to switch him over to a kidney diet. Obviously if the symptoms don't resolve after his course of antibiotics we'll bring him back, but I'm just wondering if we should do something now. I may also be an overly anxious person.

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This kind of sounds like what happened with my 6 year old, Kitty. She was peeing in weird places and her pee smelled worse than normal cat pee and like you said, was like... Sticky and thicker than regular pee. Took her to the vet and she had a bladder infection and a kidney stone. They gave me medicine for her and put her on a special diet to make the kidney stone smaller so she could pass it on her own so we wouldn't have to put her in surgery.
The food and medicine combo worked perfect for her. She was only on the food for about two months but within two weeks she stopped peeing in weird spots. She's perfectly healthy now and is kidney stone free. Maybe after some meds and a food switch your little guy will be feeling better as well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameliashuman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What food did you use?

Curlynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What food did you use?
I actually got it from the vets office, it was a medicated food to break down the stones... I don't recall the name but you won't find it on a shelf anywhere, I looked for it when I needed a new bag because it was pricey getting it from the vet.