Uti Issues After Catheterisation

Talha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my first post to this forum.My boy Sam is a 2 year male and have been treated for UTI (urinary tract infection) for the last 10 days. I live in Pakistan...so here we don't have any hospitals for animals just the doctors. Sam was catheterized for two days and since then he is not behaving normal. He is peeing small amounts of urine in his litter box and also around the house. i have been following him everywhere. i am very much worried if he is recovering or not? i have been to the vet 2 times after the catheter was removed and he is saying Sam is normal but it does not seem like that to me as he is peeing small amounts everywhere.And also he is licking his penis more than usual.And my vet said i should put a collar on him for 2 days as the catheter has been removed and that Sam should not lick his penis for 2 days and that if he licks it will cause blockage again. I went to the best vet in town. My question is
1- Does licking cause blockage again?
2- Is Sam recovering and is it normal to pee small amounts during recovery?
Kindly share your experiences and try to answer my questions. Will appreciate ur help
P.S I am bad at english so pardon my english

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your English is fine, so don't worry about it.

Your cat doctor should have prescribed an antibiotic for the infection and some pain meds. He is still in pain from the infection and his penis is sore. It seems to him like he needs to go all the time; that's why he is peeing small amounts.

Make sure he gets enough water. If he isn't drinking a lot, mix some into his food. Give him wet food, not dry.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Talha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
DreamerRose DreamerRose Thank u very much for the reply. And yes I m feeding him wet food and he is drinking water and I m mixing water in milk so to keep him hydrated.but the vet have him off the antibiotics except citralka syp which I m giving him. Also his behaviour is normal so should I start antibiotics again to cure his infection? As there are 3 days holiday and there is no vet available for 3 days.
Also will licking effect his blockage?
Again thanks for the help

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, start the citralka syrup until he has been well for several days. When the holiday is over, and if he is still peeing and licking a lot, try to get some pain meds. I've never heard of licking affecting his blockage, and I let Mingo lick all he wanted. So don't worry about it.

Most adult cats can't tolerate milk, so just put a little in the water to flavor it. You are doing everything right.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In addition to the excellent information already given, please make sure that the catbox litter is Unscented and fragrance-free:nono: Perfumes and fragrances will irritate already inflamed tissues. And water should be filtered or low-calcium bottled.
Also, consult the vet about possibly using herbal supplements to soothe the bladder irritation and ease spasms. There are online homeopathic vets that you can consult especially about using marshmallow root and chamomile (originally from Europe) and cornsilk (from America) just in case your own vet is not familiar with them - many herbs that are fine for people and dogs are not safe for cats. The ones that I use for my cats really do help, though, and I am blessed to have a vet who was raised using traditional medicine and is familiar with herbs (I was raised with herbal medicine as well).
Prayers and blessings that your kitties recover their health completely :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Please be sure to keep us updated!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Additionally, if you want to use milk, it's perfectly okay to use GOATS milk. Cows milk is what most adult cats can't tolerate.

lamshinlok

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat is suffering from UTI, he peed a little amount after catheter due to urinary spasm. As far as the total amount of each day is ok, then i think its okay for him to pee little each time, he may feel pain or there are crystal being rushing out made him feel hurt. Its already 10 days my cat still got pee in size smaller than usually. Maybe you can ask the vet to give painkiller or antispasm medicine. Sorry for poor English! Hope your cat get well soon.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Many urine infections can be treated with a single dose of antibiotics but I wouldn’t try that with an infection that required a catheter. The symptoms Sam is showing suggest that he still has an infection. However, there is an inflammatory type of cystitis that cats get and that’s where anti-inflammatory medication would help. An antispasmodic or pain medication would likely help the feeling that he needs to pee all the time.

If you have any of Sam’s antibiotic left, I would start it again. Don’t give him any “human” antibiotics, they may not be appropriate for cats.

I hope Sam feels better. Let us know how he does.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Talha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for their suggestions.It was a great help.@silkenpaw vet had him off his meds and after that I visited him twice he did not suggest any antibiotic except citralka syp but I think may be u r right. And also here in pakistan vets prescribe human antibiotics because there are none for cats but they give them in small amounts.
I need to ask one more thing from all of u that since my last post as I told before he is peeing multiple times in small amounts but now when he goes to the litter box and try to pee not a single drop comes out. Then I checked his bladder it was the size of a lemon. He is sleeping a lot but his eating is fine. Drinking not much of the water but a little.Kindly give suggestions
Thanks a lot for ur quick replies

Amy106

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my first post to this forum.My boy Sam is a 2 year male and have been treated for UTI (urinary tract infection) for the last 10 days. I live in Pakistan...so here we don't have any hospitals for animals just the doctors. Sam was catheterized for two days and since then he is not behaving normal. He is peeing small amounts of urine in his litter box and also around the house. i have been following him everywhere. i am very much worried if he is recovering or not? i have been to the vet 2 times after the catheter was removed and he is saying Sam is normal but it does not seem like that to me as he is peeing small amounts everywhere.And also he is licking his penis more than usual.And my vet said i should put a collar on him for 2 days as the catheter has been removed and that Sam should not lick his penis for 2 days and that if he licks it will cause blockage again. I went to the best vet in town. My question is
1- Does licking cause blockage again?
2- Is Sam recovering and is it normal to pee small amounts during recovery?
Kindly share your experiences and try to answer my questions. Will appreciate ur help
P.S I am bad at english so pardon my english
Hi can u tell me did u mix citralka with water and gave or gave it as it is?? And also wht dose u gave to your cat??