Uti? Help!

Chizzy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I adopted an almost 5 month old kitten 2 weeks ago. Things are going well and her and my big cat and her are getting along and playing together lots!

However, I two days ago I caught her peeing on my laundry. I immediately picked her up and took her to her litter box. Yesterday I then found that she peed a little again on my carpet. THEN this morning right after she ate she peed on my bed.

I am very concerned as the one thing me and my husband cannot tolerate.

She was spayed the day before we got her so I'm asking if anyone has experience with cats getting UTI's after getting spayed? It could also be a behavioral issue but I'm not sure how it could be. She doesn't appear to have any other UTI symptoms besides frequent unration (I also notice she sometimes pees in very small amounts).

Please help! I need to get this issue resolved ASAP.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign:Glad you found our site and came here for support. The first suggestion I have is to call your vet. Did you bring her to your vet after the adoption for an evaluation, initial exam? Second, how many litter boxes do you have since you mentioned having another cat? How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?

Here is a helpful Article on what to look for after a spay surgery:
Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery
And another Article that discusses how to help your cat adjust to a new environment - she may be dealing with some stress in addition to the surgery:
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

Please check with your vet, even if only to give them a call. Best of luck and please keep us posted on her progress. :alright:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might need antibiotics from the vet. Also try decreasing dry food and increasing canned food.

GoodJuju

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Going through the same thing here. I’m going to the vet today to figure it out. I can tell you how I make out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chizzy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :welcomesign:Glad you found our site and came here for support. The first suggestion I have is to call your vet. Did you bring her to your vet after the adoption for an evaluation, initial exam? Second, how many litter boxes do you have since you mentioned having another cat? How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?

Here is a helpful Article on what to look for after a spay surgery:
Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery
And another Article that discusses how to help your cat adjust to a new environment - she may be dealing with some stress in addition to the surgery:
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

Please check with your vet, even if only to give them a call. Best of luck and please keep us posted on her progress. :alright:
Thanks so much. Yes, I am thinking the best option is to go to my vet so I will be taking her tonight or tomorrow.

I didn't take her for an initial exam with my vet as she was just spayed the day before and we have all medical paperwork. Call me ignorant but i guess that's something I should have done!

I just really do not want to waste my time/money at the vet if they are going to tell me everything is fine with her health wise so I was wondering if anyone has had experience with UTI's because that's the only health issue I can think it would be??

We have 2 letterboxes that I try to clean everyday, so I don't think that's the issue. She also doesn't appear to be stressed at all - she is very loving and playful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chizzy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Going through the same thing here. I’m going to the vet today to figure it out. I can tell you how I make out.
Yes, please let me know!!

kmoulus

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not a vet and my cat has not been a kitten for a long time. But I was in the vet's office yesterday for the second UTI in two months, and I can tell you is the symptoms you describe are not entirely unlike what my cat has displayed. Speedy has all the common symptoms - she is in and out of the litterbox multiple times and is unable to urinate, or only produces a few drops. Sometimes she appears to be straining, and once she cried out I guess because she was in pain. Also when she does urinate it is pink (due to blood). I can tell because Speedy is very old and sometimes accidentally pees over the side and I see pink on the puppy pad under her box. Those are all sort of classic UTI symptoms.

I agree with others that a visit to the vet is in order because urinating outside of the box can be a symptom of so many things. If the vet gives you a clean bill of health then you'll know this is a behavior issue and you can start trying to figure out why she's acting out.

KirkCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have had several cats with recurring and serious UTIs. I had a theory that the clumping clay litter was at least partially the problem. I think the dust gums up their urinary tract when they squat or lick their paws and fur. After trying many non-clay litters we have settled on grass seed litter. Clumps great but natural and no clay. After years of UTI problems with multiple cats, we have had no issues since changing litter.
If your cat has recurring UTIs give the grass seed litter a try for several months.