Uti? Help Please!

Pumpkintheking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Pumpkin all of a sudden came up to us panting and trying to pee anywhere and everywhere. He would paw at the ground and squat for a long time with only a few drops coming out. I was afraid he was blocked so I rushed him to the animal hospital (it was a Saturday so it had to be as an emergency). They sedated him and ran some tests and told me that by just squeezing his bladder they were able to empty it and that he didn't test positive for UTI or crystals or anything. They also took and x-ray and there was nothing abnormal. They gave me a prescription for pepcid and another medicine for inflammation to give him for a couple of days just in case. After one week he seemed to be doing better but now it is happening again. This time he has been growling sometimes while trying to pee. I have the medicine left over and I'm not sure if I should give it to him or what could be happening. Since the vet visit I have been giving him wet food almost every day and making sure he is drinking water. He has been eating and drinking with no problems. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas I would really appreciate it, I hate seeing my baby in pain.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the name of the medicine, is it an antibiotic? It sounds like he needs to go back to the vet, or at least give them a call. Is he peeing in just small drops again?

FreedomKitty17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would definitely call the vet, this could easily be something serious. Depending on what exactly the meds are for, that's something you should consider giving him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pumpkintheking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is the name of the medicine, is it an antibiotic? It sounds like he needs to go back to the vet, or at least give them a call. Is he peeing in just small drops again?

I don't know it's name in English (hidrocloruro de prazosina in Spanish). Sometimes he is able to get a small amount of pee out, other times he is just getting drops. But today he seems fine, but then randomly at night he will spend and hour pawing in different places and squatting. I called the vet and they said to give him the medicine again and if it doesn't help in a couple of days to return.... I am just not really sure what the medicine is "fixing" and I don't want him to be in pain.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think this medicine is Prazosin. It is a medication to relax the muscles of the urethra to ensure full unrestricted flow of urine.

If this medication is not doing the job of fixing the problem, I think you should take him back to the vet for further diagnostic tests.

The cat may have bladder stones. The cat may have a bladder tumor; although not common. I presently have a cat with a bladder tumor.

You may want to request X-ray of the bladder to see if there is any bladder stone or tumor.

I would take your cat back to the Vet for recheck and additional tests. Do not let him get blocked up!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet used antibiotics for my cat's UTI. He gave him an antibiotic shot and then I put an antibiotic liquid into his wet food for 10 days. He could only squirt out small drops of pee, but he was able to pee fine as soon as he got home from the vet after the antibiotic shot they gave him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pumpkintheking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think this medicine is Prazosin. It is a medication to relax the muscles of the urethra to ensure full unrestricted flow of urine.

If this medication is not doing the job of fixing the problem, I think you should take him back to the vet for further diagnostic tests.

The cat may have bladder stones. The cat may have a bladder tumor; although not common. I presently have a cat with a bladder tumor.

You may want to request X-ray of the bladder to see if there is any bladder stone or tumor.

I would take your cat back to the Vet for recheck and additional tests. Do not let him get blocked up!
He had an x-ray done and they didn't find anything. The medicine seems to be helping, I just came home and he has peed in the litter box today a decent amount. I am just wondering will he always need this medicine? Could it just be stress causing him to have difficulty? I have been reading about it but I don't know what could be stressing him, he lives like a king!

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are there any other cats in the house? Any other pets? Does he see any other cats outside?

Stress can definitely be a factor. I had a male cat who was very territorial. Anytime any other cat came around outside and he saw it, he would let out a curdling yeowl. It would really set him off. I had to be extra vigilant for the next several days on his litterbox use as sometimes a UTI would follow.

Adrienne Garcia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The same is happening to my cat!! He's peeing everywhere and he's panting too (this usually happens at night but it could happen in the morning too I'm just not around to see it so I'm not so sure). He was treated for UTI two weeks ago and I brought him back to the vet three days ago for the follow up check up but they said he was normal so they sent him home with no meds. (except of course his prescription food). Is this normal behavior for a recovering cat or has his UTI come back again? I'm really worried about the panting though but when I brought it up to the vets they suggested it was just stress.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What did they give him for a treatment? Was it antibiotics for 10 days?