Uti + Drooling & Other Weird Symptoms

RJaneG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just looking for some possible insight...

I have an Exotic Shorthair that is just over a year old and has always He has had some really strange things going on lately. Just looking to see if anyone has experienced anything similar. A couple of weeks ago he was noticeably not feeling well, just not his normal playful self and consistently gagging but never really throwing up anything, just occasionally clear fluid. I took him to the vet the following day and did a urine analysis and he, in fact, had a UTI. We did 7 days of Clavamox. He seemed to feel better after a couple of days. He also has/had a really raspy purr, he would make strange noises and purr with his mouth open. About a week later he starting throwing up again, but this time it was actual kibble, like a full meal. Theo is not one to eat quickly or a lot. Other than the vomiting he seemed to feel fine. I took him back to the vet and they retested his urine, and he still had a UTI... We started him on Orabax, 1ml once a day. He has been on it for a couple days. Overall he has been acting normal, but today while eating wet food, he seemed to have zoned out a little and was making a suckling like noise and motion with his mouth and started drooling. I'm not sure if he was just really enjoying his meal or what was going on but all in all its been very strange.

I brought home a new kitten the first week in July, so the stress of the new kitten is what I attributed the original UTI diagnosis too... I worry about him so much!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Your shorthair didn't catch something from the kitten, did he?
Do you have a different vet you could speak with?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RJaneG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is he eating normally? Does he tilt his head to one side?
He seems to be eating normally, I will watch more carefully next time. Overall he is acting totally fine now, the drooling thing tonight really threw me off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RJaneG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Your shorthair didn't catch something from the kitten, did he?
Do you have a different vet you could speak with?
I guess its possible. She came from the same breeder I got him from. She was 12 weeks old when I got her and had all her vaccines up until that point. (now is current on all vaccines). He had his one-year boosters about 3 weeks before I brought her home. Like I mentioned, I kinda attributed the UTI to the stress of the new kitten. They get along great and he really loves her but I know it was a big change.

As far as a vet goes. I have been going to the same vet for 10+ years, and trust them 110%. That being said, I took him to a "Cat Only" vet last week, and they came back with a quote of over $600 worth of stuff they wanted to do (which didn't include a urine analysis to see if that was cleared up), at that point he had only off his first round of antibiotics for a couple days, and the raspy purr was really the only strange thing.

I want to make sure all the right things are done, although I prefer not to spend a ton of money. I more than happy to do it if it really makes sense or they can try to explain to me what answers they might get.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! So sorry to hear your cat isn't feeling well. Is there any chance he could have eaten something he shouldn't, like a plant or a mouse? I ask because hypersalivation (not just drooling, which some cats do when tired & relaxed, but overproduction of saliva) can be a sign of poisoning.