UTI CRYSTALS

Lynniexi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Vedo is on antibiotics for a UTI. He been on them for 16 hours and has not urinated yet. I have massage his bladder to urinate. He goes a small amount but still can not urinate on his on.What should I do hes 3 years old. The Veterinarian requires $1033.00 up front to put Vedo in Hospital

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How was the UTI diagnosed, and what showed up in any testing to determine your cat has crystals? Has Vedo had related issues before?

The problem with crystals is that they can partially or fully block the urethra and it can be fatal. Male cats are more prone to serious issues when it comes to any type of blockage due to the anatomy differences in males and females.

Do you know what the $1,033 covers? I'd find out and see if the amount can be reduced depending on what all it does cover.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . I would give the vet a call for recommendations. Maybe a more aggressive antibiotic could be prescribed. I am sorry that Vedo is going through this. I had a male cat years ago who suffered from a UTI. It was very difficult for him - we found him in the hedges next to our house, to sick to walk. Fortunately, he responded to the antibiotic treatment. Oscar on the hand, required an expensive sugery, so I understand where you are coming from about the money. I will keep you both in my prayers. Please keep us posted on his condition.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As far as I know, antibiotics will not help the crystals to dissolve, but may clear up the urinary tract infection, given enough time. If he definitely has crystals, then he may need either a prescription food to help dissolve them, or something more invasive, depending on where they actually are. Was he peeing prior to going to the Vet? Usually with a UTI they pee small amounts all over the place, but not always. But as long as some urine is coming out, even if your assistance is needed, he hasn't reached critical mode yet.

Did you take him to an emergency vet or your regular vet. Emergency vets are much more expensive and don't normally work with you on costs. If you have a regular vet, I would contact them about this if you haven't already.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lynniexi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Vedo is on antibiotics for a UTI. He been on them for 16 hours and has not urinated yet. I have massage his bladder to urinate. He goes a small amount but still can not urinate on his on.What should I do hes 3 years old. The Veterinarian requires $1033.00 up front to put Vedo in Hospital
Hes is in the Hospital.