UTI care question

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
since our kitty is getting older, I was looking over the cat food for UTI care, and noticed that about half of it is dry food. How is this possible if dry food encourages the creation of UTIs and wet food helps prevent them? I admit I've read a lot saying just that, wet food prevents, helps prevent, dry food encourages. I'm finding this a bit confusing. Is there something in particular in the UTI preventing dry food not found in other dry food?

Specific brands would be Purina, Wellvue, maybe others, still looking around.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The point behind people mentioning that wet food is better than dry is because, in general, one of the best things for feline urinary tract care is moisture. The more moisture in a cat's diet the better the cat's bladder stays flushed - which helps to reduce bacterial, and sediment (aka crystals), build up. The less build up there is the less likelihood of infections.

Most of the dry foods touted for urinary care are lower in phosphorus, sodium, and magnesium, among some other minerals, that tend to attribute to kidney/bladder issues. Basically, these minerals can accumulate/clump together in the bladder (and in the urethra, and/or the kidneys too) causing crystals, which in turn can irritate the kidney/bladder/urethral lining creating an environment for inflammation that can lead to infection. The lesser amount of these minerals decreases the odds of them accumulating in the urinary tract.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FeebysOwner has nailed it!

K Kflowers you might be interested to know, that other studies on instances of urinary issues have found that feeding any type of wet food at all is a better predictor of not developing urinary issues over any single other method studied this far. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1016/j.jfms.2003.09.007

as my dr would say, "The solution for pollution is dilution."