uterus prolapse, mating, iron deficiency

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Is there a zoo in your town? We used to have another member from India who posted here, many years ago. She was from Lucknow. She got a lot of help from the vet who cared for the zoo animal in her city.

I think it would be better to spay her rather than let her go through the pregnancy. The risks are much higher the longer the pregnancy continues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ajano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there a zoo in your town? We used to have another member from India who posted here, many years ago. She was from Lucknow. She got a lot of help from the vet who cared for the zoo animal in her city.

I think it would be better to spay her rather than let her go through the pregnancy. The risks are much higher the longer the pregnancy continues.
We don't hv zoo either unfortunately... I am torn now.. I thought I 'll fed her kitten food and the Vet reccomnded IRORICH syrup to increase blood in her body .. I hope I 'll be able to prepare her well before delivery..

Ajano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are the chances she 'll hv prolapse again.. What are the precautions we can take if vet refuses to spay her....will be grateful for any suggestion..

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not really sure what the vet means by "She doesn't have enough blood in her body" Cats can have low iron in their blood, they can be under weight and they can suffer from blood loss after an accident.

There is also a condition known as Aplastic Anemia, where the cat's bone marrow stops producing blood cells.

Aplastic Anemia in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

It's very serious. I don't think your cat will be able to carry a litter to term and deliver kittens if this is what she is suffering from.

Has your cat had a blood test for FIV and FeLV?

Ajano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not really sure what the vet means by "She doesn't have enough blood in her body" Cats can have low iron in their blood, they can be under weight and they can suffer from blood loss after an accident.

There is also a condition known as Aplastic Anemia, where the cat's bone marrow stops producing blood cells.

Aplastic Anemia in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

It's very serious. I don't think your cat will be able to carry a litter to term and deliver kittens if this is what she is suffering from.

Has your cat had a blood test for FIV and FeLV?
I requested for test but the vet said it's okay

Ajano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both her uterus fall out in her first delivery in Dec 2019.. It happened at midnight and our vet here closes by 4 pm ... We don't hv emergency vets here and I had to wait for 6 hours to take her to the vet.. The vet said she has lost lots of blood and will die if we do surgery and ruled out surgery and pushed back.. She was lucky to survive....

The vet just looked at her eyes and said she doesn't have enough blood to go through the surgery and told us to come back after she recovers. He said her eyes are white and should be pinkish to know that she has enough blood..

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We don't hv zoo either unfortunately... I am torn now.. I thought I 'll fed her kitten food and the Vet reccomnded IRORICH syrup to increase blood in her body .. I hope I 'll be able to prepare her well before delivery..
Irorich is a preparate for giving iron (Fe). And when people talk about anemy, or too little blood, its usually too little iron in the body we talk about... As iron is used for builiding of the red blood cells, carrying oxygen...

So, yes, the vet think she is anemic... And thus, needs more iron and b-vitamines.

So give her this Irorich ("iron-rich"), or any other food you know does contains iron...

Dont forget goats milk! I wont swear goats milk contains extra much iron, but I do swear goats milk is nutritious and easy digestible. :) And also, soothens down some inflammations in bowels if there are any.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. A guess is, she had quite a some bleedings when preg in december. That is the most common way to have too little blood, to be anemic.
In a healthy animal or person, whom has good food, the lack is compensated quite quickly.... But if her food isnt first rate (and or contains too little iron), or she isnt entirely healthy - it may take longer time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have a nearby city or university with a more experienced vet that you could take her to?

Ajano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ps. A guess is, she had quite a some bleedings when preg in december. That is the most common way to have too little blood, to be anemic.
In a healthy animal or person, whom has good food, the lack is compensated quite quickly.... But if her food isnt first rate (and or contains too little iron), or she isnt entirely healthy - it may take longer time.
Thankyou so much.. you have no idea how grateful I am 😊I 'll give good food rich in iron for her to have easy delivery since spaying doesn't look like an option..

Ajano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have a nearby city or university with a more experienced vet that you could take her to?
Because of COVID 19 , entire state is shut down and movements are restricted within one,s area only unfortunately..

Ajano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will it be okay to spay my 30days old pregnant cat that has iron deficiency? What are the chances she 'll survive? She has a uterus prolapse in her first delivery?? The vet refuses to spay her in her condition but I want to insist if it will be okay despite the complications..

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You could possibly talk to a second vet for their opinion regarding the spay, but in any case hopefully your vet is working to correct the iron deficiency.

Ajano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much iron should be in food.. we don't hv much options her...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you cook up a little beef for her? Maybe some liver? (If you live in an area where beef isn't eaten, chicken or lamb liver would be fine.) Cook it lightly, just enough to kill any germs.

What brands of cat food do you have available?