Using zylkene to calm cats for a journey- is it worth doing a trial run?

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - I am preparing for a long journey with my two cats, including a plane trip. I don’t want to drug them to calm their nerves, but I’ve been told that zylkene ( see picture) which is a natural remedy might be useful. Has anyone tried this? One question I have: I might want to try it out on the cats before my trip. But as one of them still goes outside a lot, I am worried about the dangers of him going outside in a medicated state. But maybe zylkene is relatively mild and harmless for being outside? Any thoughts? Many thanks

03606860-2FAC-4C92-A0C9-9901015D202E.jpeg

Attachments

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've been using it for a while. It doesn't alter their state of mind or body where they would be impaired like with a tranquillizer. Of course every cat is different so you may want to closely observe either way and see how yours react. In my case, and it appears most cases, there would be absolutely no reason to worry about them going out (although my cats don't go out at all).

One thing to keep in mind is that they can take a while for the benefits to "kick in". Since zylkene is not that strong, there won't be an immediate effect as one would expect from medication. It varies, some vets say it will take weeks until you see "results", but in my case I've seen them much faster, couple of days and my cat showed very good, noticeable improvement in anxiety related over grooming (as in, completely stopped).

I do couple this with feliway though. But feliway is always on because one of them has trauma/anxiety issues so it helps him a lot. There's also the spray version which I use for vet visits, although tbh, I feel like the other cat is unaffected by it.

I use the zylkene on an "as needed" basis. A few days/week before a vet visit.
Couple of weeks before I leave on a trip where they'll be alone 22h of the day, and of course during and a few days after.

Do ask away if you have more questions. I know it doesn't work for some, but in our case it has.

TLDR:
It's a valid option to try out imho, effectiveness may vary but well worth a try, and i wouldn't worry about them being impaired re:going out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is really helpful. Many thanks.

my wife and I traveling with both cats in 10 days time. The tripis from Belgrade, Serbia to The south west of England. All in all 16 hours including a 2.5 hour flight from Belgrade to Paris. The rest in cars. Slight concern that initially for the flight I have to keep them in a relatively small transporter ( airline restrictions if you want to keep the cat in the cabin with you) We will have much bigger boxes in Paris for the long car journey.

I have taken them out for long car rides in the transporter. They are OK for a bit but start to get agitated. They seem to get claustrophobic. I have transporters made of material that open out. But they start clawing at the material so I think a more robust design might be better.

Anyway I rambling…

I might start them on the Zylkene now. Thanks
E9636905-8C94-4B4F-8A7E-43FE7A0DB31B.jpeg
67E0EBAA-81EC-4CB5-9768-F5868A47CDE7.jpeg
67E0EBAA-81EC-4CB5-9768-F5868A47CDE7.jpeg