Using pine pellets to deter cats from peeing in the garage

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have several outside/feral cats. They have access to the heated garage where they get fed and have fresh water. I also have 3 litter boxes out there. They have been peeing around the perimeter of the inside of the garage. They also use the litter boxes. I tried putting pine pellets litter in one of the boxes to cut down on the odor but they refused to use it. If I put pine pellets around the garage perimeter, would it deter the cats from peeing? I'm not sure which cats are doing the peeing. I'm pretty sure it is not all of them as there is definitely urine in the litter boxes.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats have preferences, so you could try putting a different type of litter in each box, including garden soil in one of them. But if you aren't able to completely remove the smell of urine from the edges, the cats that are going there will probably continue to. Supposedly cats don't like to walk on plastic, so a couple of layers of those cheap drop cloths might keep them away from the walls.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I highly doubt putting pine pellets would deter them at all, a lot of people, myself included, actually use pine pellets as cat litter. Not all cats like using pellet litter in the litter box though, some don't like the feel of it on their feet and some don't like the fact that they can't properly bury their poops as easily as in clay or similar granular litter. Also specifically for ferals I would think it's just too far from the natural feel of dirt or sand that they would naturally potty in.

Since it's around the perimeter though I agree that it sounds much more like marking then peeing, which, beyond both being urine, is not the same thing at all. They are likely marking the garage as their territory to let any other cats or animals in the area know that it belongs to them. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to, or even if you can, fix that issue with ferals, I assume since you are caring for them they have been spayed/neutered, but if not getting that done can sometimes help cut down on marking since it females mark to let males know they are in heat as well as intact males to ward off other males.

For the litter box smell I suggest using horse stall deodorizer like Stall Dry mixed with the litter or it can even be used instead of the litter (it's the same texture as fine clay litter). It doesn't clump together though, so if you want clumping litter you will need to just use it as deodorizer you mix in.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I tried putting pine pellets litter in one of the boxes to cut down on the odor but they refused to use it.
The OP was, I think, thinking of trying it as a deterrent because their cats don't like it, probably for the reasons you described,
some don't like the feel of it on their feet and some don't like the fact that they can't properly bury their poops as easily as in clay or similar granular litter. Also specifically for ferals I would think it's just too far from the natural feel of dirt or sand that they would naturally potty in.
[/QUO

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I highly doubt putting pine pellets would deter them at all, a lot of people, myself included, actually use pine pellets as cat litter. Not all cats like using pellet litter in the litter box though, some don't like the feel of it on their feet and some don't like the fact that they can't properly bury their poops as easily as in clay or similar granular litter. Also specifically for ferals I would think it's just too far from the natural feel of dirt or sand that they would naturally potty in.

Since it's around the perimeter though I agree that it sounds much more like marking then peeing, which, beyond both being urine, is not the same thing at all. They are likely marking the garage as their territory to let any other cats or animals in the area know that it belongs to them. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to, or even if you can, fix that issue with ferals, I assume since you are caring for them they have been spayed/neutered, but if not getting that done can sometimes help cut down on marking since it females mark to let males know they are in heat as well as intact males to ward off other males.

For the litter box smell I suggest using horse stall deodorizer like Stall Dry mixed with the litter or it can even be used instead of the litter (it's the same texture as fine clay litter). It doesn't clump together though, so if you want clumping litter you will need to just use it as deodorizer you mix in.
I was mixing some pine pellets in with the litter and they weren't using that littler box. They would sniff it but wouldn't use it.

I'm going to get some of the Stall Dry next time I go to town. I see our local Tractor Supply store carries it. Thanks for the suggestion.