Using more than one topical flea treatment in a single month, ongoingly?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have had Feeby on Advantage II since last July, treated my home multiple times, and yet by the third week following application of Adv II, I can flea comb her and find fleas and flea dirt. I flea combed her last Wednesday (just 3 weeks after treatment) and found 4-5 adult fleas on her and a lot of flea dirt. Today, my husband flea combed her and found 15 adult fleas and a lot more flea dirt. We will apply Adv II today, 3 1/2 weeks after the last treatment, just as we have done the past couple of months.

I thought I remembered at least one member saying they repeatedly use two different topical treatments (with different active ingredients) about 2 weeks apart. Does anyone else do this? And, if you do, what do you use?

I would like one that contains IGR (Adv II does), but want to stay away from those that contain isoxazoline - which is the newest anti-parasitic class of flea treatments on the market - due to the caution about possible neurological issues associated with it. I would prefer to NOT get one that enters into the bloodstream (Adv II does not). But, it seems like the only ones that don't enter the bloodstream contain the same active ingredients as Adv II. If I find one, I would use Adv II Week #1, then XXX Product on Week #3, and repeat thereafter.

What are your opinions on the frequency of topical flea treatments being used this way? Thanks!!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t use any flea treatments now and for many years I didn’t. When we adopted Syb, long hair, who was indoor outdoor we had a flea infestation. So then I used it for a while, 3 of my cats got cancer and I became ill. I found that just shaving her in spring and baths, vacuuming cleaning everything thoroughly controlled the fleas if they had them, which was never after I gave her a bath etc and none now tg.
I stupidly let the dvm put flea posion on Quinn because he came home with fleas, even though breeder gave him an oral, she had a problem and was frantically cleaning etc. He vomited as soon as he got home and all his digestive issues started then which I cured with diet eventually. I should have just given him a bath with dawn. I cleaned everything throughly for 3 weeks and no more fleas. Merlin was treated when I trapped him, but nothing now and no fleas.
I have read that the fleas become resistant to a lot of the pesticides so cleaning and baths may be the best way to control it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don’t use any flea treatments now and for many years I didn’t....
I stupidly let the dvm put flea posion on Quinn because he came home with fleas, even though breeder gave him an oral, she had a problem and was frantically cleaning etc.... I cleaned everything throughly for 3 weeks and no more fleas. Merlin was treated when I trapped him, but nothing now and no fleas...I have read that the fleas become resistant to a lot of the pesticides so cleaning and baths may be the best way to control it.
I have lived in this house for 35 years and have had 3 cats (including Feeby) that were never treated for fleas - until this past July. I have cleaned everything thoroughly - and repeatedly - since then, along with treating Feeby. Feeby has not had a bad reaction to Adv II, and numerous studies say that fleas have not proven to have built a resistance to it (yeah, I know, no guarantee).

My problem will not be solved by cleaning and baths - but, glad it was that simple for you!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have lived in this house for 35 years and have had 3 cats (including Feeby) that were never treated for fleas - until this past July. I have cleaned everything thoroughly - and repeatedly - since then, along with treating Feeby. Feeby has not had a bad reaction to Adv II, and numerous studies say that fleas have not proven to have built a resistance to it (yeah, I know, no guarantee).

My problem will not be solved by cleaning and baths - but, glad it was that simple for you!
Well obviously they are resistant since it is not working? Otherwise why is she still getting fleas? It was not simple believe me! It took weeks of hard work and figuring it out. For me it was worth it, because of the illnesses caused by using the treatments.

I hope you find something to help Feeby and you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well obviously they are resistant since it is not working? Otherwise why is she still getting fleas? It was not simple believe me! It took weeks of hard work and figuring it out. For me it was worth it, because of the illnesses caused by using the treatments.
Despite how off-track this dialog is in regard to my initial questions: yes, I am trying to find a solution that could resolve any resistance that might be going on. Bathing a cat, daily, weekly - or whatever, you believe to be the magical number - is NOT going to get rid of the fleas in between baths, and therefore not give her relief other than the immediate hours following the bath. She is getting longer term relief with the Adv II than she would with a bath - but, just not as long as it is supposed to work effectively.

I have been at this for several months now - not just mere weeks - so I do believe it was simple for you, and I am glad it worked for you. Cleaning and baths are not going to work in this case - if it was that simple, I wouldn't be asking for solutions specifically related to flea products.

There are a lot worse products on the market than the one I am using, and I know that. But, I am not against all flea treatments, as you are. If there are members who have successfully treated their cats with no adverse reactions - using certain products over a long period of time - I am willing to entertain them to get her longer term relief than just what a bath will offer.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just an added note to my original post: While I respect all of you who don't believe in flea treatments, I am really looking to get responses from members who have had success with combining topical flea treatments, when one alone is not working. It would be my preference to find a solution within the criteria of my original post, although I realize that might not be possible. Thought I would clarify, in case it wasn't clear. Thanks!!

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Capstar? When I had issues a year or so ago I alternated giving two of mine capstar so one got it every day over two weeks to get rid of the adult fleas on them. Regarding topicals I have used them more frequently than once a month. I had a kitten with severe ear mites and the vet suggested I use the revolution more frequently to treat that.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Despite how off-track this dialog is in regard to my initial questions: yes, I am trying to find a solution that could resolve any resistance that might be going on. Bathing a cat, daily, weekly - or whatever, you believe to be the magical number - is NOT going to get rid of the fleas in between baths, and therefore not give her relief other than the immediate hours following the bath. She is getting longer term relief with the Adv II than she would with a bath - but, just not as long as it is supposed to work effectively.

I have been at this for several months now - not just mere weeks - so I do believe it was simple for you, and I am glad it worked for you. Cleaning and baths are not going to work in this case - if it was that simple, I wouldn't be asking for solutions specifically related to flea products.

There are a lot worse products on the market than the one I am using, and I know that. But, I am not against all flea treatments, as you are. If there are members who have successfully treated their cats with no adverse reactions - using certain products over a long period of time - I am willing to entertain them to get her longer term relief than just what a bath will offer.
I think you are over reacting to what I said so I won’t give advice anymore. I was actually at it for more than “ weeks” as well. I genuinely hope you get this resolved asap. Good luck!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried Capstar? When I had issues a year or so ago I alternated giving two of mine capstar so one got it every day over two weeks to get rid of the adult fleas on them. Regarding topicals I have used them more frequently than once a month. I had a kitten with severe ear mites and the vet suggested I use the revolution more frequently to treat that.
Thanks! I thought about Capstar, but not sure if I can get Feeby to take it, but I certainly could try.

When you say that you have used topical treatments more frequently than once a month - was that over a long period of time? If nothing else, I was considering applying Adv II every 3 weeks, but if that would turn out to be effective, I would have to follow that regimen - possibly indefinitely. That is why I was considering swapping between two different topicals - every other week - because then she wouldn't be getting the same active ingredients more frequently than once a month.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure whether alternating multiple products would be safe. I think a good starting point would be to figure out how the medications are cleared from the body - renally? Hepatically? And make sure they're cleared through different organs. Mechanism of action is important too - different mechanisms would likely be more effective.

I personally used both capstar and advantage and found it helpful.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure whether alternating multiple products would be safe. I think a good starting point would be to figure out how the medications are cleared from the body - renally? Hepatically? And make sure they're cleared through different organs. Mechanism of action is important too - different mechanisms would likely be more effective. ...
^I agree with this.
Regarding topicals I have used them more frequently than once a month. I had a kitten with severe ear mites and the vet suggested I use the revolution more frequently to treat that.
Regarding this^, I know a kitten might have an easier time handling some overusage of meds versus an elderly cat, like Feeby.

So I think it is probably best to work closely with your vet during your decision-making.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So I think it is probably best to work closely with your vet during your decision-making.
If I could I would, but he is a firm believer of Bravecto and does not think the studies done warrant the alarm that they have caused regarding possible seizures in cats. Bravecto is absorbed into the bloodstream, and is of the class of flea treatments called isoxazoline, which is also an ingredient in Revolution Plus. Therefore, both of these products are not options as far as I am concerned. This is the first time my vet and I have not agreed on something - after 25 years! So, can't rely on him for this specific issue.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then I am no help either, as my husband and I and our vet dermatologist use Bravecto extra-label for our cat Milly, to very successfully and, so far, quite safely help Milly with her d. cati over-population.

:hugs:
:vibes::hearthrob:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure whether alternating multiple products would be safe. I think a good starting point would be to figure out how the medications are cleared from the body - renally? Hepatically? And make sure they're cleared through different organs. Mechanism of action is important too - different mechanisms would likely be more effective.
I personally used both capstar and advantage and found it helpful.
Alternating products was the goal for me to avoid over-using any one particular active ingredient. I once started a listing of the flea treatment options, what insecticide/parasitic they contain, whether they are absorbed via sebaceous glands (e.g. Adv II, Frontline Plus) or blood stream (e.g. Capstar, Revolution Plus). I guess I need to resurrect that listing, continue on with adding to it and updating it - and also include another column for how they are processed in the body.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I hope you find something to help Feeby and you!
Why is she still GETTING fleas? That's not what a topical flea treatment does.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That would be the 'million dollar' question...
Advantage only does one thing to fleas. It kills them. It does not prevent the cat from getting more fleas.
Hopefully, your cat goes outside and gets fleas from outside. If not, it's getting fleas from somewhere inside the house. And that's a nightmare.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In order for Advantage to work, a cat must have fleas.
????? It would seem you are not taking this thread seriously, or have no understanding of fleas (lucky you). If you are trying to be funny, OK - haha, now move on.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
????? It would seem you are not taking this thread seriously, or have no understanding of fleas (lucky you). If you are trying to be funny, OK - haha, now move on.
Dead flea seriously. You need to do no more to the cat than Advantage once a month. The treatment is not the problem. Where the fleas are coming from is the problem that needs to be addressed.

Texaskitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This may not be any help but just to share what we've been doing keeping fleas off our 2 cats. Our first kitty adopted as a stray had fleas and the vet gave us Revolution. It worked like a charm and there were no fleas to be found on the cat or in the house from then on, and the medication didn't bother her. We adopted our second and his foster mom said give him Revolution too. So far, no fleas at all in the house or on the cats and they don't seem to mind Revolution. This may not work for everyone but it has worked for us.:)