Using each others litter boxes

zxsder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I recently got another cat in the family (8 month old female). She's seems to be getting along with my older cat (7 year old male), they chase each other now and then but no hissing and so on.

We keep their litter boxes in the same room but about 3 meters apart from each other. She knows how her litter box looks like since she had it all to herself in a separate room for about 4 days. Still, she tends to use the older cats litter box. Is this normal behavior or should we tell her that it's wrong or maybe move her litter box to another room?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes it's normal. If one of mine uses the litterbox you can guarantee one of them will hop in the same one to make sure they put their scent in it as well.

Rosie never covers hers up either, but Jack jumps in and does it for her

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We usually recommend one litter box for each cat, and then one extra, and not all in the same place.  It's funny, but I've seen one cat come in and pee in one box, then move to another box to poop.  At the same time, another cat will be peeing in the first cat's poop box, and vice versa.  It is all too complicated for humans to figure out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zxsder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright, thanks for the tips!