Using dog frontline flea medication for my cat?

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
DON"T!!!! It is very, very dangerous to give a cat dog flea stuff. They are dosed according to weight/size. Please get from your vet, especially if she has any sensitivities. 

4catsncounting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good grief.  Do people not read the thread contributions they are responding to?

It is NOT dangerous if one is using a fipronil and S-methoprene product, as Frontline (and its knockoffs) is.

Sheesh.

neena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it really that serious?  I also wondered if the companies that make these flea meds want you to pay separate prices to make more money...It is not beyond most American companies we know that...But is there really a science on how different dog and cat meds really are.??  I sort of believe you more than the others.  They are very different inside.  Dogs seem to be able to eat almost anything...Cats on the other hand have a bit more sensitive stomachs or metabolism...I will stick to cat products for my cat until it is proven by the FDA or who ever big shots approve these flea meds  that It is safe to do...Til then I love my critters too much to go with a non Licensed know it all"s advice...There are more than enough folks here saying how wrong it is, isn't that enough to at least wonder if it's really OK health wise to give a cat a dogs medicine especially flea meds that are poison, pesticides really and bad on their kidneys to begin with.  I wish there was another way of preventing fleas without these harmful anti flea products...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With some brands, the dog formula and the cat formula are the same. Exactly the same, just in different packaging and doses. I think one brand even has the small dose labeled "for cats and small dogs". So those products are safe to use on cats (as safe as the cat formula anyway :/), as long as you get the dosage right. Other brands are very different, and the dog formula would be dangerous for cats. So it depends. If the owner has not done research on which brands are the same, they should stick with something labeled for cats.

Jennifer Green

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I have Frontline Plus Dog 22-0.023 fl oz (which I believe is for use on small dogs less than 22 lbs). I wanted to use this on my cat but didn't know if it was ok to use the whole amount on her?? My cat weighs about 9 lbs.

Also, I've never had to give her flea medication before in the past (i have to know for the month because she is going to stay with one of my friends while i travel and they have other animals with fleas)... if she has some kind of an allergic reaction to it... how long will it take to manifest?

Thanks!
Cats are .50ml so do not use more than that, although on my bigger cats that way 20lbs I use .55ml. I do the same as the other person below and buy the 3 month extra large dog and divide it between my cats. Bc I also frontline the strays and feral outside. I use a 1ml syringe. I hope this helps

peatiedog1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They say don't use for cats because the dose is too big. It is the same formula except the dog one is weaker. I am always skeptic too about posts that say something like don't use x instead of y when the facts are contrary. There are people who will post things like that because they sell the product, and it costs them money when you do something like apply a one product for another with the right dosage. That doesn't mean that they are doing it here, but it doesn't mean that they are not. But make sure the dose is right. Use a syringe that is the right dose. The cat dose is .5 milliliters, and the decimal point is very important. If you can't do the math; don't use dog for cat.