Using diatomaceous earth for fleas

mytwoboys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was wondering if those who use diatomaceous earth for fleas give me some advice also (Capstar)....Where is the cheapest place to get food grade, how much do you add, what is the name and everything else. I TNR ferals (just started) and I adopted 2 feral kittens....they are softening but still won't let me hold them. Collars and drops are out....I now have a terrible flea problem. Thanks for any advice. [emoji]128062[/emoji]

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is some info on diatomaceous earth.  I have never used it myself, but this article may be helpful.  It does give some dosage suggestions.  As for where to buy, if you want to buy locally I am not sure, but Amazon or EntirelyPets.com seem to have really great prices.  I know you can Capstar on Amazon.  I have used Bestflea.com too. 

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

Ginalola

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read that it's really good for getting rid of fleas. You sprinkle around the house on carpets and furniture. Is that okay for my cat if I leave it around the house? Do you have an opinion on how good it works? Thanks

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read that it's really good for getting rid of fleas. You sprinkle around the house on carpets and furniture. Is that okay for my cat if I leave it around the house? Do you have an opinion on how good it works? Thanks
I have used it and am unsure just how effective it is for one reason. It appears to have kept fleas off the cats because they seem to have no issue with fleas. The thing that makes me wonder about how well it works is I have spread it around cat food bowls to try to control ants getting in dry cat food. If it has made any dent in the ant population I can not tell it. All the cats have still got ticks from time to time despite the using the food grade in their bedding and areas where they lay so it doesn't seem if it's killing ticks either. It could be doing more than I am aware of and it can't be hurting so I would give it a try. I got my diatomaceous earth at our local health food store for about $6.00 a lb. 1 lb. will last a long time so this is a cheap treatment!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used it on the floors of my apartment to get rid of flea's and it seems to work. I have not used it on my cats directly because I have read that the cat could get a respiratory infection from breathing it in. Some people do use it directly on the cat and swear by it, but I am always cautious with natural remedies.

Wildcat Maybelline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It works wonders. I powder my 10 cats with it once a month to keep fleas down. I even apply it to the 4 neighborhood ferral cats that come to eat on my Back porch. The cats will ingest it while cleaning their coats which also keeps stomach parasites at bay. Be sure not to make too much dust when applying it to prevent respritory problems. It is a little messy but so worth it. Order it from amazon food grade only.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I came to this thread to because I have wondered about this. I kind of understand why food grade when used indoors, but what about outside? I used to use 'agricultural' (?) grade in my stalls for fly control. But, what about just outside in general? There is a rabbit explosion here and they are infested. I find an occasional flea or tick on my dogs. Since they are mostly indoors, I don't want an infestation myself.
What is the difference between the two?

Wildcat Maybelline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Food grade can be safely ingested. Non food grade is made as an insectecide. Cats groom themselves so you only want to use food grade on cats. I donut know about rabbits. I would use food grade if applying to any animal.