Used Mixed Litters Heated Up in Bag

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
“Huh?” you say. So yes, this is totally weird. I mixed three kinds of litter, and after I scooped the clumps into my usual paper lunch bag and put it in the trash, it warmed up.

I use Abound clumping grass litter, but when I saw SmartCat clumping grass and Okocat clumping wood litters on sale, I bought them. (I’ve used both before, although not mixed.) As I needed to add more to the boxes, I used both of the new litters so I ended up with a three-way mix. I scooped the urine clumps and poop into lunch bags then tossed them into the plastic bag-lined trash can in the garage.

Last night when I pulled the plastic bag out to put it into the big bin for the garbage collection, the plastic bag felt really warm in spots. I hadn’t put anything hot into the trash so I excavated (fun job…ick) and discovered that the used litter in the paper bags was generating heat! The only thing I can figure out is that the combo of the three litters with the urine created some kind of fermentation process. :dunno:

I don’t know if it would have continued to warm up and spontaneously combusted. Probably not, but I wasn’t going to take any chances. I‘ve replaced their litter with Abound only again.

Weird, huh?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have heard that under certain conditions leaves which are warm or wet can heat up to the point where they can spontaneously combust so, assuming that this is true, I suppose that the same premise applies to your cat litter. It is really strange though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
It is really strange though.
Isn’t it?!

I now have a metal pail with a lid in the garage. That’s where the bags of used litter are now being stored until trash day. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Well, it wasn’t the mixing of different kinds of litter. It’s still happening with just the one kind…but not to every bag. I checked four bags of used litter this morning before putting them out for trash collection, and two of the four were warm. :dunno: Oh, well. Just one of the mysteries of the universe.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your litter is made of natural/compostable materials so it's not surprising it cooks like a compost pile. It's amazing it started so quickly. I wouldn't have thought cat waste should be used in compost because of the high acidic urine. I was wrong.