Use of "Da Bird"

bobbie sue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I was interested in seeing the way "Da Bird" cat toy was being used on the many youtube videos and I see Penny prefers to deal with it differently.  I try to replicate the action of a bird the way I've seen but it doesn't get any reaction from  her. Interestingly enough, the way to get her attention and reaction is to move it very quickly across the floor as she attempts to catch it.  At times she does since she is way faster than I but then she won't release her "prey" and tries to run away with it... all the while I am trailing behind her with the pole still attached.  It's really quite funny I'll admit.  Try as I might to get her to leap into the air to catch that elusive bird, she prefers her way  Maybe if I catch a real bird and affix it, that will help!   (just kidding)

Is there anyone here whose cat also doesn't wish to leap for it but rather just wants to run after it when it is on the floor and trying to escape her grasp?  

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat sometimes prefers ground play to air play with wand toys, it just depends on her mood.  It is probably quite common for cats to prefer one or the other, since many cats in the wold focus on hunting either mice or birds. 

You might try putting a mouse on the end instead of a feather and just embracing your cat's love of simulated mice.  when that is my cat's mood, she goes nuts or the little stuffed mouse on the end of one of her wand toys, especially when it "skitters" under furnature and she has to fish it out!

Da bird actually makes a great mouse toy to put on the end of cat wands, but the ubiquitous "Smarty cats" brand 3 pack stuffed mice work well, and can be found not only online, and at pet stores, but in many grocery stores.

P.S.   My cat loves dragging her "prey" off, as well.  I sometimes let her do it briefly (under adult supervision, of course).

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You might try putting a mouse on the end instead of a feather and just embracing your cat's love of simulated mice.  when that is my cat's mood, she goes nuts or the little stuffed mouse on the end of one of her wand toys, especially when it "skitters" under furnature and she has to fish it out!
That's been my solution as well for the ground-hugging cats.  I call it, "Vole on a Pole."

chloe92us

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ground lover here too, and the mouse attachment is the only toy that absolutely drives him wild! He loves that thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bobbie sue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it.  My cat just loves the stuffed mouse toy which squeaks as she moves it.. it is her favorite.  I never even thought to attach that but I will do that now and she might jump for it.  The trouble with having her chase it on the ground is...as I said before... she is faster than I and catches it a lot of the time and then carries it off... and boy oh boy... what a struggle to get that out of her grasp (mouth actually).

Have a peaceful and pleasant day all !

rustysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jackson Galaxy puts cats in one of two categories: tree dwellers or bush dwellers. Tree dwellers like to go for flying prey, and they are jumpers. Bush dwellers like to hunt prey that scurries on the ground. They aren't jumpers. I have had both types of cats. The important part is to play with your cat, regardless of which manner of hunting they prefer.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Huxley plays like that too. I always giggle when he finally catches the "prey" and walks away with it with me following him around with the wand. :)
He does however also jump and catches the toy when it's flying.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Jackson Galaxy puts cats in one of two categories: tree dwellers or bush dwellers. Tree dwellers like to go for flying prey, and they are jumpers. Bush dwellers like to hunt prey that scurries on the ground. They aren't jumpers. I have had both types of cats. The important part is to play with your cat, regardless of which manner of hunting they prefer.
I guess Charlie's a tree dweller, then, lol! Even with toys with mouse attachments I have to fly them through the air so that he can leap for them.

bluebirdy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one cat that loves the mouse and one that loves the bird. To each their own.

I really enjoy the nekko flies but they're quite expensive so they never get to take them away and chew on them. Though I'll humour them and let them walk away with them as I walk behind them holding the wand firmly :p

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat likes both but da bird is more fragile so he doesn't get to play with it all the time. Mousey is a beloved friend. I think we're on our fifth mousey in fewer than nine months.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you might try and get something like this refil for Da bird toy. This can be dragged along the floor and because of the shape it kind of mimicks a small snake or large caterpillar. I recently got this and also a long furry one that looks like a squirrel and my cat goes nuts for it.

If your cat is into ground play, balls that light up on contact are usually a hit, you can roll it across the floor, if it gets stuck under something well that is just part of the fun for them because it's hiding.

I also bought a wind up rat. Neither of mine like that. They hate the clockwork noise and they know it will stop when the clockwork winds down so they largely ignore it.