Urine smelling worse after neuter

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have noticed since Nuts' neuter has urine has reeked. He isn't spraying I notice it only when I clean the litter boxes. It has never been this bad, before it was only if I was right at the box while he went. Now you can smell it if you are anywhere in the room(or even in the living room in certain spots.) It does smell of tom cat(which he obviously isn't anymore, I consider a tom to be an intact male.) I'm just wondering why it is so much stronger since the neuter. He was given a urine culture last Mon(he was neutered on Weds) which was perfectly clear. So he shouldn't have an infection and he is using the box just fine.

Any ideas on this of why it is so strong now? Like I said he is not spraying, it's only when he uses the box or I clean it(I use a sifting box so it happens when I dump it into the sifter) if he was spraying it would be constant.

Taryn

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That will go away. Part of the smell really isn't tom cat but 'sick' cat. He has been filled with drugs, has been cut into, had body parts cut off and part of that smell is the drugs plus the body's own healing mechanism, the rest is lingering hormones and that takes a few weeks to go away but that really rank smell should dissipate in a few days when he has shed the drugs and starts to heal all the way. The drugs will also have slightly dehydrated him and the urine will be a tad more concentrated. Week and the odour will lessen noticibly and if it doesn't, back to the vet to check for infections and if it gets stronger, back to the vet sooner.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

That will go away. Part of the smell really isn't tom cat but 'sick' cat. He has been filled with drugs, has been cut into, had body parts cut off and part of that smell is the drugs plus the body's own healing mechanism, the rest is lingering hormones and that takes a few weeks to go away but that really rank smell should dissipate in a few days when he has shed the drugs and starts to heal all the way. The drugs will also have slightly dehydrated him and the urine will be a tad more concentrated. Week and the odour will lessen noticibly and if it doesn't, back to the vet to check for infections and if it gets stronger, back to the vet sooner.

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It can take 2 or 3 weeks for those hormones to completely go away. Though the behaviour can change almost instantly; another part of it may be he is going more all at once in one shot and still has that tomcat smell, so it can be like a turbo whopper of a smell attack XD

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by merrytreecats

It can take 2 or 3 weeks for those hormones to completely go away.
Nope, takes a minumum of 6 weeks, regardless of species, with the average being around 8 weeks, and the high 12 weeks. Remember, testosterone production is not limited to the testicles and it will continue to be excreted on a declining level for several weeks until the body becomes used to much lower levels.

One thing most people do not realise is that viable sperm remains in the vas deferens and castrated males will be fertile for several days to several weeks, depending on species. There have been 'Oops Babies' from surgically sterilised males ranging from cattle to humans (vasectomy).

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'd call the vet anyway - hopefully they gave him antibiotics before the surgery just to make sure he doesn't get an infection ??

I just had Buddy neutered - horrible odor prior, then it took about 3-4 days for the odor to decrease - it didn't increase, that's for sure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It went away in a few days like y'all said. He perfectly fine and healthy and back to being his normal 'evil' self

No antibiotics before or after neuter, he didn't have any infections at the time nor did he have any after.

Taryn