Urine retention on Prozac (fluoxetine)

Victorianite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

New here but my female cat (9 years old around 15lbs) was put on Prozac at my request due to increased anxiety and over licking her stomach. She has been on it about a week. Since about day 3 I’ve noticed she holds her urine for more than 24hours sometimes up to 36/48 hours. She is eating and drinking normally, snuggling, not hiding. Playful when she wants to be. When she does finally decide to urinate she will go in and out of all of the litter boxes multiple times before she eliminates and it is a ton of urine. She has also taken to laying down in the covered litter box every once in a while.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any suggestions on what to do? I don’t believe she is blocked it just seems like this is a side effect of the Prozac because prior to this she would urinate at least twice a day and defecate once. That has definitely stopped.

We have feliway going, other calming sprays have been sprayed. Clean the boxes every day. I’m just concerned and will talk with the vet but I wanted to know if anyone else experienced this.

Thanks!

certainberet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think this is just a side effect of Proz

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Victorianite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply! Yes, I knew it was a side effect (though they told me it was rare) I just was hoping to see if others had experienced this and if I should take her off the med or switch her to a new med.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My boy is on Prozac every other day. We put him on it because he was going all over the house because his IBD was flaring. I have noticed that his output is larger and he doesn't go to the box as frequently as before. That could be because we have his nausea under control and he's not drinking as much water. However, he doesn't go as frequently as I think he should be going.

When he first started on it, I noticed a lot of in and out of the box without producing anything before finally going in the box and urinating. He has past that stage now, thankfully.

Victorianite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boy is on Prozac every other day. We put him on it because he was going all over the house because his IBD was flaring. I have noticed that his output is larger and he doesn't go to the box as frequently as before. That could be because we have his nausea under control and he's not drinking as much water. However, he doesn't go as frequently as I think he should be going.

When he first started on it, I noticed a lot of in and out of the box without producing anything before finally going in the box and urinating. He has past that stage now, thankfully.
Yes, that is what she is doing as well. Though I put her on the Prozac for just general anxiety, she is on a urinary food because she has crystals so I was hoping that would counteract the urine retention side effect but that doesn’t seem the case. I’m just worried because I haven’t seen her go in about 36 hours and has gone into the box twice, laid down one time other time just went in a went right back out.

thanks for your reply! Glad to know it’s not just my special cat that has this side effect.

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

New here but my female cat (9 years old around 15lbs) was put on Prozac at my request due to increased anxiety and over licking her stomach. She has been on it about a week. Since about day 3 I’ve noticed she holds her urine for more than 24hours sometimes up to 36/48 hours. She is eating and drinking normally, snuggling, not hiding. Playful when she wants to be. When she does finally decide to urinate she will go in and out of all of the litter boxes multiple times before she eliminates and it is a ton of urine. She has also taken to laying down in the covered litter box every once in a while.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any suggestions on what to do? I don’t believe she is blocked it just seems like this is a side effect of the Prozac because prior to this she would urinate at least twice a day and defecate once. That has definitely stopped.

We have feliway going, other calming sprays have been sprayed. Clean the boxes every day. I’m just concerned and will talk with the vet but I wanted to know if anyone else experienced this.

Thanks!
I've had 3 cats on Prozac in the past and all three of them urinated less frequently while on it. So, I think it is for sure just a side effect of Prozac. I mentioned it to two different vets and they did not seem concerned at all.

Victorianite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had 3 cats on Prozac in the past and all three of them urinated less frequently while on it. So, I think it is for sure just a side effect of Prozac. I mentioned it to two different vets and they did not seem concerned at all.
My vet was concerned enough that she is weaning off the Prozac and we will discuss other options this week.
I feel better about that in the long run.
Thanks!

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet was concerned enough that she is weaning off the Prozac and we will discuss other options this week.
I feel better about that in the long run.
Thanks!
I had the same concerns, honestly. We still have one cat on it and I was able to ween him down to half a dose. I did try to ween him off completely, but he starts to become a litter box bully (meaning, he bullies the other cats when they are trying to use the box). Going down to a half dose has seemed to help him and he is urinating normally now. Luckily, at the half dose he does not become a litter box bully and also does not spray around the house. Good luck!

Victorianite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the same concerns, honestly. We still have one cat on it and I was able to ween him down to half a dose. I did try to ween him off completely, but he starts to become a litter box bully (meaning, he bullies the other cats when they are trying to use the box). Going down to a half dose has seemed to help him and he is urinating normally now. Luckily, at the half dose he does not become a litter box bully and also does not spray around the house. Good luck!
Yes, I’m concerned on what will happen after taking her off of it. Thankfully she had only been on it for 10days. Now I’m just slightly worried she has to go into each box before deciding where/when to pee. Alas…hopefully I will figure it out! Thanks again for your replys and experience!