Urination Issues

Tazie118

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so I have a 2-year old un-spayed female cat that has just recently started urinating in places besides her litterbox (she doesn't even use it anymore). I am a college student and so my cat stays with my mom when I am not home during the summer. Sometime this semester (my mother cannot pinpoint when exactly, but probably sometime in march/april) my cat start using the bathtub as her litterbox, no where else that she ever saw. And my mom did not know what triggered this behavior and did not have the time to take corrective measures. So, now that I am home I have been trying to figure out how to correct it. Before I left for school (and all the other times I have been away) my cat had been fine. I had just gotten her a brand new and large liter box that she was using fine when I was here. Late last year my mom got a new cat that was only a few months old at the time and they're getting along better now and my cat wasn't having any issues then. My mom changed to a new type of pellet liter and she says she doesn't believe that is what triggered it. My cat has no history of having urinary issues and there is no issues that the vet can find. But the issue is getting worse because my cat is peeing on the floor by the vent, in the pantry, and just peed in the corner of my bedroom. I have already tried switching litter boxes. My mom suggested that she may be scared of her liter box because she may have gotten caught in it or because the door got stuck a few times.
I don't know what is the best approach. Because the other issue is that we can't take the dome off the litter to test the theory because the other cat uses both of the liter boxes and makes a mess when she digs around and flings liter everywhere. An idea I had is getting a large carboard box, cutting open a very big hole, and taking the lid off the liter and placing it inside it to see if it helps. I have also thought of switching make to a more normal litter. Would you recommend having at least 3 litter boxes?
I am at a loss for what to do and I definitely don't want my mom to want to get rid of my cat because she keeps having issues. I was hoping to move into an actual apartment this fall but I can't bring my cat with me if she is still having issues.
I am willing to try anything at this point! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

PuffandPercy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there any reason she isn't spayed yet?

The only reason I ask is because I know that hormones can cause problems; the cases I've heard of are more of males urinating to mark territory, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone here knows better than I-and can confirm if this can be the case for females too?

What are you using to clean the places she's been urinating? Is she still around the other cat, or is that cat with your mum? Are they sharing a litter box, or are there multiple boxes available? How often is the cat litter cleaned?

Sorry for the 20 questions, just a few things I can think of that might be causing her to not use her litter box properly!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tazie118

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there any reason she isn't spayed yet?

The only reason I ask is because I know that hormones can cause problems; the cases I've heard of are more of males urinating to mark territory, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone here knows better than I-and can confirm if this can be the case for females too?

What are you using to clean the places she's been urinating? Is she still around the other cat, or is that cat with your mum? Are they sharing a litter box, or are there multiple boxes available? How often is the cat litter cleaned?

Sorry for the 20 questions, just a few things I can think of that might be causing her to not use her litter box properly!
- Generally, we didn't see reason to because she's young and is rather clean about it so my mom just never did.
-My mom typically uses a vinegar mixture for the floor but uses bleach or Ajax to clean the tub.
-And I am currently home for the summer so she is still with my mom and around the other cat.
- There are two litter boxes and my mom's cat uses both but my Cat would only ever use her own.
-----Even after the litter box has been freshly cleaned and my door is shut and it's just us in my room I never see her use it.
- There are two litter boxes total
- They are cleaned every other day typically

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Has your cat been to the vet to rule out health issues? Every time my cat has gone outside the box it has been because of a health issue.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes,m she may have a urinary tract infection, but would be more lethargic, and hurting by now. I really think getting the other cat triggered all this, it stressed her, (cats are very good at hiding stress), and changing the litter to pellets was the final straw. I would get a large uncovered litter box, put a large mat or sheet under it to contain the litter from the scratching, get regular litter, and see if she will use it. You need a good enzyme cleaner to get rid of the urine around the house. There is ALWAYS a reason cats avoid the litter box, it is up to us to find the reason. All I know is there are many cats who absolutely refuse to use any litter but clay.......

PuffandPercy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think di and bob have hit the nail on the head; maybe a bit too much change for her, and she's not feeling comfortable in her litter box.

An enzymatic cleaner will help, cats can still smell where they've urinated even when we can't, and that smell attracts them to keep going in the same spot.

you might even try adding another litter box; the general rule of thumb is the number of cats+1 is how many you should have, but that's not hard and fast either. She might only want to go in the bathroom, which is why she didn't use the one in your bedroom?

Tazie118

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankfully that issue was fully resolved by a change back to a more normal litter and not a pellet litter and she does not have any urinary issues!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im so happy for you both! There is ALWAYS a reason, we just have to get into their heads and figure it out! Thanks for the update!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally, we didn't see reason to because she's young and is rather clean about it so my mom just never did.
Risk of pregnancy, pyometra, heightened risk of mammary cancer, etc. I’m very happy to hear that you got this issue sorted, but I’d suggest talking to your mum about having her spayed.

Tazie118

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She just got spayed last week actually!