Urinating Outside the Box

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 8-year-old DSH, Snap, has taken to peeing outside of the litter box...but only on a soft mat that my Mom had made for the kitties. At first I thought it was a comment about the cleanliness of the nearest litter box so I did a deep clean and washed the mat with some oxygen cleaner to remove the smell so she wouldn't do it again. But ... she did it again. Multiple times. The last time she did it, it dried as a crystally-powder. Other than the peeing outside the box (which she has never done before), she's acting like her usual self - eating, pooping, all normal. The water fountain has been going lower more quickly but that could be a result of using the AC more and the water evaporating.

I can't get in to see my new vet for a month, but my gut says she's okay to wait as it would be more traumatic for her to go to the vet I don't like where the barking dogs cause her to hiss and growl. But some reassurance would be nice!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's best to take her to a vet that can see her within the next few days.

Frequently it's a UTI when they do this and it can travel to the kidneys. Or it's a stone and can cause a blockage which becomes a medical emergency where she will need to be seen within a few hours.

Cats hide pain well and unless it becomes a full blockage then you might not see more signs. If she begins vomiting, that's also an emergency where she would need to bee seen within a few hours (because of the combination of the urinary symptoms).

candacelynn9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would take her to the vet sooner, if she develops a blockage there is a possibility she would need surgery. If you are telling the new vet about these symptoms and they will not see her for over a month I would call a different vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Ask the new vet about just bringing her in without an appt. so a tech can collect her urine for testing. Most vet offices do this as a regular part of their routine. That would at least get a urinalysis/urine culture done now rather than later. I am sure it varies by vet office, but I have done this with Feeby on numerous occasions and we are usually in and out of the office fairly quickly.