Urinating outside litter tray

harleysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Harley is being a very good boy, has settled in well and is already part of the family. The only thing is, he is refusing to use his litter tray to pee in. He uses it to poop, so he knows where to go and what to do. I am keeping him in the bathroom at the moment, trying to train him to use the litter tray. I am amazed how long he will hold onto his pee, and wait until I let him out to play and then he will pee. It's been 3 times in my bed, and just now in his tunnel thing (at least that's plastic). Every time he does it I pick him up and put him in his litter tray. I mopped up his urine with a paper towel today and pressed it into his litter tray to try and put his scent in there so I'm hoping that will work. The breeder said that she has multiple trays throughout the house and Harley may like to poop and pee in different trays, but I don't have anywhere to put another tray and really want him to use the one that's in my bathroom. Surely he can be trained to use it?! I keep it spotlessly clean. Has this happened to anyone else? At the moment I can't leave him alone in my bedroom in case he pees on my bed or the carpet, I've not once seen him pee in his tray. Should I just keep him in the bathroom 24/7 for a few days (he has everything he needs in there) hoping he will be more likely to use the tray? At least in there it is tiled and I don't have to worry about getting cat urine out of the floor or bed. He's only been here a week and is 13 weeks old.

grrr cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would put a tray near my bed and the spot on the carpet. Once he is using the tray,  move the box  slowly a little bit each day, so it eventually is in its desired location or meets the  other box.  In your kitten's eyes, you already have more than one litterbox. I live in a small unit and have two boxes side by side. I would prefer her to use a litter box.

When mine was little, i use to put her back in the box every at random times.  Then let her find her way back to the play area. It helped her remember the box location.

Also, invest in, an enzymes cleaner, to remove the urine smell. It works by breaking down the proteins in the Urine. Use a black light to assist you in locating the urine spot.  Clean every spot thoroughly.

Cats peeing outside the box can also  indicate a UTI. It's a great idea to rule out any health issues with your vet.

Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

harleysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would put a tray near my bed and the spot on the carpet. Once he is using the tray,  move the box  slowly a little bit each day, so it eventually is in its desired location or meets the  other box.  In your kitten's eyes, you already have more than one litterbox. I live in a small unit and have two boxes side by side. I would prefer her to use a litter box.

When mine was little, i use to put her back in the box every at random times.  Then let her find her way back to the play area. It helped her remember the box location.

Also, invest in, an enzymes cleaner, to remove the urine smell. It works by breaking down the proteins in the Urine. Use a black light to assist you in locating the urine spot.  Clean every spot thoroughly.

Cats peeing outside the box can also  indicate a UTI. It's a great idea to rule out any health issues with your vet.
Good luck.
Thanks Grrr Cat,

Harley has been to the vet and has had a clean bill of health. He has also just started to use his litter tray for both poops and wee (much to my relief). I think that it was my fault for letting him out and up on the bed, running around all over the place too soon. I should have kept him confined in a smaller place until I was sure he was familiar and litter trained.

I have got a blacklight and an enzymatic cleaner to remove the urine stains.

Fingers crossed this little problem is solved :vibes:

Last edited:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
That all sounds really good @Harleysdad  

I would really recommend two litterboxes.. my cats, and many others, just won't wee where they poo!