Urinating Out Of The Cat Litter Pan

jthorup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I rescued 2 abandoned kitties 6 years ago, one female Chloe and a male Clyde. My yard is an acre which is all fenced. They are outside kitties and just stay in my yard. A year ago on my webcam I noticed there were two Coyotes outside my fence at night. So, at night the kitties are put in the garage. I took Chloe to the vet no health problems at all he did say that keeping her in the house was probably stressing her out more that is why she was howling and I mean loud howling. So I set up heated cat beds in my 3 car garage and fans in case it got warm. So around 8 pm I put Chloe in the garage, she loves her beds. and seems to be fine. Chloe is let out around 8 in the morning.

Chloe is pooping fine in her cat litter pans but is urinating or spraying on the garage door and on a shelf. So, I purchased Dr. Elsey's cat attract litter and have several over sized cat litter pans in different parts of the garage. I also purchased feliway spray and atomizer, still Chloe is choosing to pee on the garage door. Please, if you have any other ideas I would welcome your advice.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First...i would keep them inside your house, not the garage. They must be freaked out by the coyotes (maybe not the reason why they pee..but that cant help). Clyde also need to be neutered. Second...Coyotes are crafty and can dig under your fence if they are hungry enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jthorup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Clyde was neutered the same time Chloe was fixed. The fence is over 6 ft with a barrier around the bottom, and the Coyotes have never been in my yard they pass by two properties to go to my neighbors pond. I was told by a local trapper they only come out late at night and dawn. He checked out our property and felt it was really secure. Still I didn't want the kitties out at night or early in the morning so I did put them in the house and Chloe cried, more liked howled all night she actually started biting the door, she was so stressed. Still, I persevered but the crying and howling did not subside. In fact, she started to pick on her brother Clyde. The garage is a three car garage with heated beds for them, fans to keep them cool if it gets warm, two and three story cat trees one for each of them. The kitties are only in the garage at night. My vet felt that Chloe was showing my signs of stress being in the house so that is why the garage was the next step.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
J jthorup , do you only have one litterbox? Very often cats won't wee where they poo. In fact the rule of thumb is on litterbox per cat and another for good measure. :)

jthorup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes 1 cat three different litter boxes

jthorup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for info and article. I have placed one of the litter pans in front of where she is urinating. The other two placed around the garage. I will move her food farther away from where I placed it before ,I think it was too close to the litter pan. I did read the article it has lots of suggestions and I think I have tried the ones they suggested. I can only hope my sweet Chloe will decide to give her mom a break and pee in one of the boxes. This is my Chloe, my shadow, my sweet girl. I have an almost two acres and believe me no matter where I am within a few seconds she finds me. I am so blessed to have her.

DSC06240.jpg

jthorup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And to think, someone just tossed her away when she was a baby. A blessing for me!!!!

BeAtCause

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are such a good kitty mom. You have everything i would have done. There is one thing i tjough of. Is the feliway a plug in or a spray. It might help to clean the garage door with natures miracle really good then spray the door with feliway directly. Consider medication for stress and anxiety (like kitty prozac) to calm her. Do not clean woth ammonia as it smells like another cats urone to them. Use natures miracle. Finally she might need to be separated so put her and her box in the bathroom gor the night. Ypu probably know all this already. I wish you all the best.

jthorup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a plug in and I cleaned the garage door and then sprayed the garage door with the feliway . The only thing I haven't done is put her on any medication. I want to try everything possible, I don't like to medicate any animal if this can be sorted out naturally. There are no other cats around. I found today that she did urinate in one of the boxes but also marked the garage door again. So I see progress as she went in the litter box. I am not giving up eventually she may just use the pan solely, but I am not holding my breath. :evilgrin:. Thanks for your suggestions.

jthorup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today my sweet Chloe:hearthrob:gave me a surprise, she actually urinated in the cat litter box (Dr. Elsey's cat attract litter). I looked around and she didn't urinate in any other spot in the garage. So, after lots of love and a treat for her accomplishment we will see what tomorrow brings.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
That is such encouraging news! :)

:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

jthorup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well it has been around a month now and my sweet Chloe continues to urinate in one of her three cat litter boxes. This is such a miracle. Extra loves every day. Never give up on your kitty no matter what, it's all worth it. Just like us they have good days and bad days and they cannot tell us what is wrong. I think Chloe was telling me she just didn't like the cat litter I was using, and she needed more love. I feel so blessed to have a cat that wants and gives so much love.

Last edited:

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
That is really brilliant news J jthorup
And kudos to you for being such a compassionate kitty mum. :)