Urinating in the sink - litterbox question

wolfie305

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Note: Both kitties have a vet appointment this Saturday, as I know this can be a sign of infection.

Few months ago, Jay and I caught Kaylee peeing in the bath tub. I can't remember what I did to get her to stop (probably turned on the water), but she hasn't gone in there since. Now I have noticed she has been peeing in the sink. Not only does this leave disgusting little urine stamped paw prints all over my clean bathroom counter, but whenever we turn the water on to brush our teeth, the water smells like gross used kitty litter. She also peed on my expensive laptop bag and an open tub I had in the room when I was organizing (multiple times).

She's never had a problem with her litterbox. We DID just recently change location of the box, and I'm gradually switching them over to the chicken feed litter, BUT she still uses the litterbox daily and just fine, so I can't see that being the issue. I've starting changing it multiple times a day and I still scrub the box once a week thinking the box might have been too dirty for the little princess, but she still peed in the sink twice yesterday! Right after it had been scooped too.

So my question is regarding a second litterbox. I know you should have one per cat and then an additional one, but to be honest, I don't have the space for that. They have been doing fine with the one. If this problem continues and I decide to add a second one, can it be located in the same room/area as the main one? This is the only room any litterbox can go into. Will she have some crisis over the fact there's two different boxes next to each other?

Thanks.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, Kaylee may have UTI. In the meantime clean the bathroom sink with an enzyme cleaner to rid of the smell. 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, you can have them together.  The cats we took in had three boxes in a row in their previous home, for four cats--we kept up that arrangement and it works for them.  One kitty's so funny--she'll balance on the edge of the boxes, sniffing each one until she finds the one she wants to do her business in.  Crazy cats.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, by the way--one of our cats took up a funny (well not funny to us but...interesting...) habit.  He's a Daddy's boy, so whenever hubby would go in the bathroom to pee, Rico apparently wanted to be like Daddy, so he'd jump up and pee in the sink!  It would have been cute if not so disgusting to have a cat pee in the sink you want to brush your teeth in!  (We did take him to the vet and he was fine physically).  So we had to start keeping the bathroom door shut when hubby went in.  After awhile Rico lost interest and stopped trying to 'potty bond' with Daddy.