Urinary Tract Disease, Dragging Faeces On Floor - Advice

Paul Keep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone has any advice.
My cat has Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease since around 2 years old.
He's had bouts of cystitus like symptoms over the years (he's about to be 10).
He has been ill for 2 weeks, squatting on the tray lots, weeing lots and round the house.
He is passing urine i should add so he isn't blocked.
He's been to the vets twice over the passed few weeks. The first visit they gave me Metacam painkiller, then this Monday they gave me more Metacam & antibiotics.
He seemed happier after a few days, albeit still going to the tray squatting a lot.
He now basically poos himself & drags this all across the floor after.

I'm kind of at the end of my tether & lost of what to do - not angry with him, it's just heartbreaking to watch & upsetting me so much, i have no issue wiping his poo up from the floor if he gets better, i'm not angry with him at all.
I wondered is he pooing himself because of the straining action of trying to wee, or is the painkiller causing it as a side effect.

The vets mentioned more tests last time, but obviously it's all very expensive, and my finances are at their limit. I have insurance but will have to pay an excess & it will not pay out for the urinary tract disease.

I don't know if he's picking up on my anxiety & it's making him worse.
I'm out the house all day after working from home for 6 months so wondered if this has caused stress.
I daren't even do housework when i'm home for fear it might upset him.

I'm waiting on my vets to ring me, but i feel very lost of what to do.

Any advice is appreciated.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're going through this. Is he getting enough moisture in his diet from canned food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paul Keep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, i add water into his food, & he only has wet food
I'm questioning myself now do i need to give him a worming tablet etc could it be that, basically worry & anxiety is going into over drive & i'm concerned whether i may have to give him up, with me being out all day i'm worrying i'm basically the problem in that respect.
He's also an indoor/house cat

Obviously vets are not cheap, and i take him and feel it get's nowhere, treatment 1 doesn't work so i take him again & it's like ok let's try treatment 2. Which i understand, but i'm paying so much just to get him through the door each time to be seen

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It might be unrelated to the FLUTD, a cat dragging its bottom can indicate parasites (like tapeworms) or, more commonly, impacted anal sacs. Post back when your vet calls back!

Paul Keep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is what i'm wondering.

I requested them call me 7 hours ago, nothing yet. I know they're busy but quite disappointed at that!

Do you think if he has this that this could cause his urination/stress related urination?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you de-wormed him twice, two weeks apart? De-worming requires it to be repeated two weeks later to get rid of all the parasites.

Paul Keep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I realised he may not have had a worming tablet in some time. I've given him flea treatments, but realised i changed treatments about & an old one used to worm him too, but he hadn't had this in some time

The vet have given me Tramadol for him on top of the Metacam so i also got a worming tablet that i've just given him. I feel terrible that i've missed that :(

the vet also had this stuff called Easy Pill.....like playdoh but a food you put pills in. He ate 3 pills without a clue!

i have to see how he is Monday when he's had antibiotics a week. I'm home all weekend so can monitor him properly

Paul Keep

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have also given him different food & tuna this week as i wanted to make him happy.....but i suppose that could affect his tummy