Urinary Blockage Recovery Questions

Vorthelus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat Oswald had a mucus blockage and spent the weekend at the vet. He did well with the catheter and started going on his own. We took him home Monday night. They sent us home with pain killers and muscle relaxers. They told us to give him royal canin unitary SO and just make sure he doesn't lick the area too much. At that time he was eating like he hadn't eaten in days and playing. He was peeing large amounts.

Tuesday he was alert and relaxing but didn't eat or pee as much, but there was still a decent amount in the litter box. He had a few accidents outside the box but large amounts. He seemed to have a little irritation or pain in the area, and he will sometimes lift his leg like he wants to lick but he wont. later in the night he sat in the litter box for a while peeing dribbles but a good amount.

Today when I checked the litter box there were signs that he peed. He has eaten but now I am concerned because he seems annoyed, he will do a kind of meow growl and try and lick the area. No hissing but a low whine. I have been avoiding picking him. At the moment he is sleeping and I have no grain food coming today. I am very stressed and I have no idea what to do. I don't know if he is irritated because he is still sore or irritated because he is blocked again. Any advice is appreciated thank you!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a lot of experience with blocked cats. You did say today when you checked the box "there were signs" he peed. How large was the clump? Was it more like a mandarin or more like a walnut? The fact that he was blocked by mucus and not crystals is a good thing. Cats prone to crystals can be tricky to treat. He may very well be sore from the catheter. Another good sign, they were able to easily insert the cath. Some kitties are blocked so badly they can't even get a cath in and have to do an emergency surgery.
However, given that you have been back from the vets since the weekend, I would call them for sure. It's been a few days and I think you should call. But he is showing a lot of good signs such as eating and peeing, so I truly do think he will be okay!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If any question i would take him to the vet today for a check. Not a good sign if he is acting bothered. could be another block, or an infection after time on the catheter.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vorthelus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There were a few clumps the largest being a little under golf ball size the rest were smaller and varied. We are going to call and hopefully they can tell us something or to bring him in. He has been curled up having cat dreams. He has tried to lick again and I stopped him. He made an agitated noise and stopped, so I'm hoping it's just irritated or sore.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Golf ball size is good! I think Duckpond is right, might have a UTI from the catheter.

Vorthelus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im hoping thats what it is, ill take him in and update on him soon! Thank you both!

Vorthelus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: They said that as long as he is using the litter box and it is not just dribbling its ok. They didn't think he was blocked just sore so they upped the pain killer a little. Today has been much better, he has been using the box and eating on his own (He hates the Royal Canin Urinary SO, but we mixed a bit of it with the high protein, no grain wet food we got for him and it seems to be working). So far so good. I am hopeful that this progress continues.

crazyanimalperson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat got tired or science hills c/d and dispized the royal canin so pate so now we get the royal canin so morsels in gravy. I have to order it online but you may want to try it. I also give him Tinkle Tonic which seems to help.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What wet food? Is it prescription? There are many foods for urinary tract disease if he doesn't like the Royal Canin. The rx foods usually contain a urinary acidifier which creates an environment unsuitable for crystal formation.

Tnd128

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: They said that as long as he is using the litter box and it is not just dribbling its ok. They didn't think he was blocked just sore so they upped the pain killer a little. Today has been much better, he has been using the box and eating on his own (He hates the Royal Canin Urinary SO, but we mixed a bit of it with the high protein, no grain wet food we got for him and it seems to be working). So far so good. I am hopeful that this progress continues.

What brand did you get that’s high protein, no grain? My kitty was a little blocked last week, and he passed the blockage on his own. Has been doing good since then. But now he seems like he’s being picky about his food. He ate it fine when I first gave it to him, was eating almost two cans a day! (Royal Canin SO) but now he’s being finicky. And I’m worried bc I was adding extra water to it too, so I knew he was getting enough.