URI with squinting, watery eye — anyone give their babies l-lysine?

LadybugsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! My little girl Ladybug (5 years, DSH) is having her second URI flare up. Her only symptom is a squinting, watery eye. Appetite, energy, and bathroom habits are all the same as before. The watery eye began Wednesday or Thursday.

But because the eye is so sensitive, I took her to urgent care on Saturday. They made sure she didn’t have any scratches, ulcers, or glaucoma. Everything, including her third eyelid, looked good, so they suspect she’s having an active episode of feline herpes. They gave me an ointment (erythromycin) to apply twice a day.

Her eye sometimes looks better, sometimes looks the same—squinty, watery, a little red (but her fur is white, so the skin always is a bit pink around her eye). I’m suspecting she may have allergies, since mine started flaring up when we moved to Burbank, and that’s when she had her first flare up when we moved.

I have an appointment with her regular vet on Wednesday, but I’m not sure if we should go. The vet stresses her out a TON, and I’m not sure they’ll tell us anything new (unless it gets worse by then). Today I gave her a probiotic (Proviable, from her vet last time this happened) and will continue doing that. But has anyone had any experience also giving their kitty l-lysine? Can I buy it from the store, or is it something I’d need from the vet?

Thank you! <3

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LadybugsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Of course her eve looks perfectly fine right now! Lol

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many, many people give their cats L-Lysine. You can buy it pretty much any where. No prescription needed. Some folks give them in the form of treats, but I think most use it in powder form and mix it into wet food. I have never needed to give it to my cats, so can't off hand give you name brands, but here is a long thread that should have that information in it, along with dosages, etc.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise