Uri That Wont Go Away. Nasal Flush Next Step?

zeusthunder10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been having an URI since I adopted him ( read past posts) his diarrhea is getting a lot better now that he is not taking any antibiotics. However, he still gets congested at least once a day and sneezes up green blob that is a really slimy and dry sort of like glue. The first vet that saw him did a culture and he had bordatella. He has been on clavamox, doxyciclin and many more.... they helped a lot but caused him diarrhea. I have been reading about having him get a nasal flush to fully flush out all the bacteria he could have up there. Anyone has similar experiences?

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat has been having an URI since I adopted him ( read past posts) his diarrhea is getting a lot better now that he is not taking any antibiotics. However, he still gets congested at least once a day and sneezes up green blob that is a really slimy and dry sort of like glue. The first vet that saw him did a culture and he had bordatella. He has been on clavamox, doxyciclin and many more.... they helped a lot but caused him diarrhea. I have been reading about having him get a nasal flush to fully flush out all the bacteria he could have up there. Anyone has similar experiences?
It could be nasal polyps. An X-ray, followed by a saline nasal flush should be able to determine this. A 'green blob" resistant to antibiotics suggests some sort of infection in sinus cavities. A nasal flush alone will not cure it however, if it is polyps. These have to be removed surgically, but a sinus X-ray followed by a nasal flush is a good first start. Ask your Vet.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There's a bacterial sensitivity test you can get done. Your vet can take a culture and send it to idexx labs who will grow it and then hit it with different types of antibiotics until they find one that works.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you do the follow up culture and sensitivity test to make sure that the bordatella was gone? It could be lingering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zeusthunder10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you do the follow up culture and sensitivity test to make sure that the bordatella was gone? It could be lingering.
Its definitely not gone but he has been on so many antibiotics already that if they put him on them again he is going to have diarrhea again

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
f tey put him on antibiotics again, you can give him PRObiotics to offset the diarrhea, just like with humans. Just don't give them at the same time of day. Discuss this with your Vet. Many of here at TCS give our cats probiotics every day, just to prevent issues. I've been giving them to my cats daily for years. We all take the same ones :wink:

zeusthunder10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
f tey put him on antibiotics again, you can give him PRObiotics to offset the diarrhea, just like with humans. Just don't give them at the same time of day. Discuss this with your Vet. Many of here at TCS give our cats probiotics every day, just to prevent issues. I've been giving them to my cats daily for years. We all take the same ones :wink:
yeah I actually had to give acidophilus. He still has some diarrhea but not nearly as bad. the poor guy was on 3 different kinds of antibioitcs for a month and a a half. They just arent working

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's where the sensitivity test comes in. Instead of guessing it tells you exactly which antibiotic will do the job.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We give 2 of our kitties a probiotic daily. One has a sensitive tummy and one has herpes and is chronically snotty. It has helped both of them with various issues. You need to get the infection within normal limits or it's going to rear up again, maybe even worse than last time.

zeusthunder10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We give 2 of our kitties a probiotic daily. One has a sensitive tummy and one has herpes and is chronically snotty. It has helped both of them with various issues. You need to get the infection within normal limits or it's going to rear up again, maybe even worse than last time.
yeah. Thing is my cat never had stomach problems until he was put into these antibiotics. his diarrhea stopped a week ago after having it every day since FEBRUARY!. Im gonna give him another month before I take him back to the vet.