Uri That Won't Go Away Even After Antibiotics

jtrani01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats, pix,11 and tessa, 9. They caught a URI from new kittens and it won't go away. They have been on clavamox, doxycycline, convinia and orbax. they have been tested for everything and it's all negative. they are both still coughing up mucus and sneezing after a month and a half. It seems to be getting better then it's right back. what else can I do?

kat hamlin

"RESCUE" is my favorite breed
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm. What does your vet think? That's a lot of antibiotics, and for the most part, URI is a viral disease. So while antibiotics are useful in combating secondary bacterial infections, they don't address the root cause of the URI. It can take a while to get that virus under control. Frankly, if the vet thinks the bacterial is clear, I would just continue with supportive care. Wet food is always great. You can try adding immune-support supplements like l-lysine, lactoferrin, and others. Keep stress down as much as possible, because stress hampers the immune response.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jtrani01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
they have seen 2 different vets who just give a new antibiotic after running tests because of the congestion.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a foster kittens that had a URI go on for three months. I had him in Clavamox and Clindamycin during that time. I also gave him around 200 mg of l-lysine twice a day. That will only help if it’s caused by herpes virus. You can give steam therapy by running the shower in the bathroom with them in the room to clear mucus. What color is the mucus?